When kids bring guns to school their districts ban backpacks

Originally published at: When kids bring guns to school their districts ban backpacks | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Yeah the thick red line between Guns & Backpacks is so obvious, genius that someone figured out that banning those pesky backpacks will give the USA the Gun Control that it so desperately needs.

[please pardon my sarcasm]

34 Likes

Missing out by not sharing the TikToks of the results of this ban! Gotta love smart alec kids!
https://www.tiktok.com/@sav.bag/video/7011628330436889861
https://www.tiktok.com/@sav.bag/video/7012775437503892741
https://www.tiktok.com/@sav.bag/video/7013926187273653509

The last one is great, definitely worth watching even if you are anti-TikTok! :smiley:

Edit: Since it won’t show previews, the videos are of kids from Rigby High School walking around with boxes, wagons, trash cans, and other unique choices to carry their books.

35 Likes

Way back I went to a school that banned backpacks. So kids either just lost stuff, stopped carrying books to class all together, or nerds like me looked up what kind of bags weren’t banned and just carried two or five of them in malicious compliance.

We had to use clear bags too.

All these policies all over the country in so many schools in the past decades have already failed to protect kids from being shot to death in a school let alone the fact that being shot to death in a school is just a thing we all agree might just happen if we send our kids to school now.

25 Likes

Yes, always a solution:

Back Pack

12 Likes

I’d laugh if everyone just started carrying black plastic trash bags around over their shoulder.

But yeah; waaaaay to solve that problem!

11 Likes

Someone definitely needs to bring their pencil case and calculator tucked into six-gun holsters

15 Likes

What do they do when someone brings a gun in a hollowed out book? Ban books at school?

30 Likes

I believe Texass and Tennessee are trying to do just that.

38 Likes

Not to mention if there’s a music class, especially a violin class. Someone could hide a machine gun in a violin case and make a film noir cliche.

18 Likes

And guitars…

38 Likes

Ammosexuals will do anything to avoid addressing the reality of situation they’ve created.

24 Likes

Kids these days, eh? They are great :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::+1:

9 Likes

This has been a thing in America already? :exploding_head:

That’s bizarre. I don’t understand this mentality some USians have to turn everything into a prison.

17 Likes

And here I am just surprised that they didn’t respond by requiring all students to carry guns. An armed school is a polite school, right?

18 Likes

So much WPA architecture in the west is exactly that. Post office? Prison? High school!

12 Likes

But I thought we were issuing all kids bulletproof backpacks so they could hide behind them in the case of an active school shooter. Now we’re taking the backpacks away cause they might carry guns in them?!?!

Man… I can’t keep up with all these changes. It’s allllllllllmost like the backpacks aren’t the problem here, but I can’t quite put my finger exactly on what the issue is…

31 Likes

My first thought, if you are intent on mass homicide, I think hollowing out a book certainly seems a bearable burden. This is an inane policy. If they were serious they could invest in some metal detectors.

5 Likes

For every measure there’s a countermeasure,
gun-bible-case

14 Likes

My highschool: metal detectors at all doors, campus cops, clear bags no backpacks, extreme dress code for hair and clothes with the usual white southern pre-occupation with gender, race, and sexuality enforced regularly by adult men, multiple closing gates at junctions across campus so that in order to, say, go with your group to lunch you have to wait by the gate for it to lift etc. About 1800 - 3000 kids crammed into something a bit nicer than a feed lot but less nice than a Walmart.

Large not-rich HS in Texas.

Run pretty much like a low security prison.

It’s not horrible but it’s not good, pretty typical for the US and has been for over 30 years now.

30 Likes