When law-enforcement depends on cyber-insecurity, we're all at risk

[Permalink]

1 Like

Semi-security. It’s like the little lock on those pre-teen diary books or the big ones on our front doors, they’re enough to keep out polite society but you can still get past them if you’ve lost the key.

It reminds me of the article about the Japanese women dressing as vending machines. Sometimes all we want from security is to give a person an excuse to stay honest.

Related:

Hackers broke into the computer networks of at least five U.S. banks including
JPMorgan Chase and siphoned off gigabytes of data, which included checking and savings account information of millions of customers, the New York Times reports. Security experts are describing the attack as “extremely sophisticated”.

The intrusions were first reported by Bloomberg, which said that the attacks were the work of Russian hackers and theorized that the motivation might have been the low point in relations between Russia and the West. But security experts and government
officials told the Times they had not yet made that conclusion.

Then again, back in old timey times, wiretaps were made of actual wire, which depends on an insecurity in the very laws of physics. And then, as now, it was frequently abused - a friend of a friend actually lost his job for wiretapping his ex-wife.

So we already have rules and customs to deal with this. They’re imperfect, they rely on human enforcement, and all the problems associated with rules. But they’ve worked fairly well mostly, and that may be as good as it gets.

1 Like

The government and the police have never been on the side law of even law abiding citizens. Stop funding them, stop empowering them, and identify who and what they are. I see these people wear their uniforms and march in parades and I wonder why are people celebrating them.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.