When staying at a hotel, tip the people who clean up after you

Where are you from?

3 Likes

I am with Mark Twain on this one: Tipping is unamerican and undemocratic. It is a corrosive practice that hurts workers, suppresses wages, and perpetuates sexism and racism. Also tips are far too often stolen by employers. If you must do it, do so with the awareness of the evils it perpetuates, and always give the money directly to the employee.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/11/30/457125740/when-tipping-was-considered-deeply-un-american

(Why will only one of those links turn into a magic thumbnail? @#$&*!)

10 Likes

At least a few dollars, if not $5.

Per day.

1 Like

Oh that’s a fun idea - I like it! Start off on a higher rate for cleaning (i.e. the one we already pay), and let the cleaning staff give a discount if we deserve it. So long as the discount doesn’t come from their budget.

Absolutely, not tipping the maids will show those dirty capitalists! Remember the powerful words of Marx:

Wages? You want to be wage slaves? Answer me that! Of course not. What is it that makes wage slaves? Wages! I want you to be free. Strike off your chains! Strike up the band! Strike three you’re out! Remember, there’s nothing like Liberty, except Colliers and The Saturday Evening Post. Be free, now and forever. One and individual. One for all and all for me, and tea for two and six for a quarter…

3 Likes

So the hotel provides an envelope asking the customers to pay it’s staff for them? Nope

5 Likes

And if you’re staying multiple days, tip each day. Schedules being what they are, the person who cleans your room in the last day may not have done any cleaning on earlier days. The envelope is actually a good idea, it prevents confusion between somebody who has emptied their pockets on the bedside table and somebody that actually MEANS to leave a tip. It’s a crappy enough job without being accused of stealing money that you thought was a tip.

3 Likes

Nah… if I’m paying $200/night for a place to sleep, the cost of making the bed is included. Same with changing the sheets every day. Unless they start giving me a discount for saving them money by doing less work and less laundry, I kind of want what I paid for.

6 Likes

Yes.
The tipping culture, and i mean when tipping is expected or pretended instead of a seldom occurrence, is wrong on so many level.
The tip becomes something between a ransom and a bribe.

4 Likes

Yes, yes, we know that tipping isn’t fun, that the low-paid service industry sucks, etc.

I don’t care. Leave a tip. If you don’t tip the cleaning staff, you are a boor.

That’s not how tips work. Or apostrophes.

4 Likes

“When slaying at a hotel, tip the people who clean up after you”

Put your tip money into the hands of the person who is doing the cleaning. They are people and you are not better than they. Face to face contact means a lot to all of us.

9 Likes

$200 a night is ok.
$201 a night is asking too much for a human being to mind after your filth while you are out enjoying the day.
Ok

7 Likes

I generally leave my ‘do not disturb’ sign up for the duration of my stay, and then tip when I leave. I assume that this is making the staff’s life easier, but I can imagine a scenario where they wind up having to wait around all day for me to take down the sign because they’re supposed to hit every room. Does anyone know if it’s better or worse to shut out cleaning staff?

A few months ago I stayed in a hotel that had a special ‘no service’ rate which was a few dollars cheaper per night and did not include daily maid service. This is the future that I dream of!

2 Likes

I generally only stay 1 or 2 days and always put " no service" on the door for the entire stay. I don’t like strangers near my stuff and no it’s not a class issue…if J.p. Gotrocks was my cleaning person I wouldn’t want them in my room.
I try to leave the room as close to " broom clean" when I go and always leave at least a 20 spot as a tip.

1 Like

Me, too. Unfortunately, hotels are changing policies so that they can ignore our preference.

4 Likes

Do Not Disturb signs are the cause of mass shootings? Wow…no wonder it took so long to figure out. Who’da’thunk?

7 Likes

Agreed, but until that happens, tipping helps someone make a living. I wish it were otherwise, but until then…

6 Likes

Agreed. I always tip out at the end of the stay, but the idea that the Renaissance (a Marriott brand) prints fancy envelopes and encourages me to leave a tip inside for their underpaid staff infuriates me to the point I want to bring my tumbrel out the garage.

4 Likes

By the logic of this post, who should not be tipped? Trash collectors? Why not? That’s a dirty job, why not leave a few bucks in the trash can lid? Mailmen? They have to put up with your dog’s incessant barking, leave a buck under the door knocker. Flight attendants? Pilots? Drugstore clerks? Cinema staff who clean up the popcorn you spilled on the floor? Leave a few bucks on your seat. Bus drivers, nurses, librarians, road construction crews, park maintenance staff, lifeguards, toll collectors, supermarket checkout staff… Tips all around!

Or how about decent wages and reasonable working conditions so that the workers in all of these positions have a stable income? And everyone else isn’t tossing money into a system which is not at all certain to reach the desired recipient and which encourages employers to replace a solid wage with the potential kindness of strangers?

8 Likes