When the antibiotics run out, maybe we can use GMO maggots to stave off infection

As someone not very knowledgeable in biology I interpreted “excretions and secretions” as “includes poop”.

Yup. And you nailed it that it’s especially the case in Hymenoptera and Diptera.

Fun Source: Young Ants Only Poop Once

1 Like

You know I don’t know if I am right or not. I think the mouths and bodies put out secretions, some of which are anti-bacterial. I found that in an article about this procedure. I tried to find something that said “maggots don’t have an anus”, but let’s just say my google results were inconclusive an I saw some/read some horrible things. I know the two dots at the hind end are spiracles, or basically breathing tubes.

I did find the article on ants, but nothing that spelled out maggots were the same way.

I will say this. When my mind finds a fascinating nugget of info, I retain it until that one day it is needed! Just don’t always remember ALL the details, and nowadays, I like to CONFIRM my nugget, as a lot of time I fell prey to those “interesting facts” emails or even fax lists.

Weirdly I couldn’t find confirmation either way, despite them being basically common bluebottle flies!

Generally, short lived larvae and those that tend to feed in one place (parasitoids like Tachinids and carrion feeders like our friends) excrete solids on first pupation while longer lived, mobile, and predatory larvae (syrphid flies, robber flies, etc.) excrete normally. It’s a pretty standard ‘don’t poop gross stuff where you nom’ rule. Another big indicator is whether they tend to form that little black ball some distance from the anus (still used for fluids. bugs pee).

I’m sure there’s a journal article behind a paywall that I couldn’t find that has the answer you’re looking for. In this scenario it’s probably it’s not terribly relevant because, while we think of ‘poop’ as stuff with lots of free organics like we produce, there’s nothing the larvae can produce while cleaning a wound that’s not an improvement over what they took in from a clinical standpoint.

I’m rather thinking something like a thin, invisible layer of fungal network covering your skin, activating its protective and rejuvenating powers over any cuts and bruises.

2 Likes

Maybe between the dermal layers, perhaps some of the deeper layers to reduce the need for UV protective structure?

In fact, that could be part of how it works: too much direct UV activates the fungus’ growth systems, closing/covering wounds…and I’m sure some sort of photosynthesis could be integrated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.