Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

They got profit! Great profit :roll_eyes:

40% reduction in travel time will mean we’ll no longer have to hear or see the phrase “Delivery in 4 to 6 weeks”

1 Like

That looks like it is from the 2015 Oxfam report. Its conclusions should be taken with a grain of salt, as the head of research at Oxfam was in a long-running tiff with the Optimum Population Trust. I don’t think anyone else uses the term “lifestyle consumption emissions”.

The population in my city has increased drastically since I moved here, and the linked increase in greenhouse gas emissions due to increased (and slower moving) traffic, more transport of stuff in from elsewhere, and more air traffic is pretty hard to deny.

The simple version: “Their research shows that the strength of radio signals on the ground is a reliable indicator of temperature change above.”

Cool!

Thinking ahead.

1 Like
2 Likes

To the historian studying this tragic period of human history, the most astounding fact is that the victims knew what was happening and why. Indeed, they chronicled it in detail precisely because they knew that fossil fuel combustion was to blame. Historical analysis also shows that Western civilization had the technological know-how and capability to effect an orderly transition to renewable energy, yet the available technologies were not implemented in time. As with all great historical events, there is no easy answer to the question of why this catastrophe occurred, but key factors stand out. The thesis of this analysis is that Western civilization became trapped in the grip of two inhibiting ideologies: positivism and market fundamentalism.

3 problems that need to find a way around to get this genuinely addressed in government. 1) Science is hard and people are lazy. 2) Dunning-Kreuger and epistemological closure. 3) Short term interests outweigh long term survival, also known as “not my problem.” I have no answers to these, but y the tiime denial is not possible it will be way too late.

Edit because I can’t type.

1 Like

(In line with what you said.)

I can’t believe this hasn’t been posted yet but I don’t see it here, so, perhaps again:

SUPER WICKED PROBLEMS AND CLIMATE CHANGE: RESTRAINING THE PRESENT TO LIBERATE THE FUTURE by Richard J. Lazarus

Yup.

But there’s also a fourth problem.

https://www.thenation.com/article/capitalism-vs-climate/

I suspect that would fall under #3, make money now or leave our kids a living planet.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I must admit, i had not thought that through entirely, but DAMN yes, that is frickin’ terrifying. Our children and grandchildren will not think well of us.

1 Like

Not just a future thing, a now thing.

1 Like

Until Mara Largo goes under, it “doesn’t really matter.”

1 Like

Has always been a thing, islands are fundamentally temporary features. Of course these days this happens more often than in the past. A lot more.

Is this one of the island on the main volcanic chain of the Hawaii hot spot or an atoll? The islands on the chain all eventually erode away and become sea mounts, if this was one of those it’s not unusual that it disappeared.

Nothing to see here.

3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like