Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

11 Likes
9 Likes

13 Likes
8 Likes

Germans are good at infrastructure, engineering, and modeling.

If this can happen to the one of better managed landscapes in a wealthy industrialized nation, I shudder for the future of the country I live in, which did not make the hard decisions to keep its infrastructure in good working order.

6 Likes

OMG!!!1! FLOODS ARE KILLING WHITE PEOPLE!!!1

7 Likes
4 Likes

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

6 Likes

Frustrating! Also Frustrating for me is what seems like unquestioning acceptance of “the market.” Like health care, energy doesn’t have to be handled by the private sector.

15 Likes

Solar might be good for consumers on top of helping save the world, but that’s not as appealing for predatory investors so we have no alternative but to let the planet burn instead. :man_shrugging:

13 Likes
3 Likes

So much is a matter of perspective…

8 Likes
3 Likes

33°C is an extreme weather warning? What happens when it hits 49.6°C?

2 Likes

tumblr_m5vmngW9Qd1rqnt9wo4_250

7 Likes

In England? People die because the country isn’t set up to handle those kind of temperatures. I don’t know why you’d sneer at 33 degrees like that, as if nobody was suffering from it. :frowning:

6 Likes

Back in the 1980’s, I worked with a construction crew that specialized in converting homes in London to central heat, because that wasn’t a thing in the country historically, for the reason you mention. I don’t know how many homes still don’t have a furnace or boiler or heat pump there, but I’m sure there are still many homes that have a built-in gas heater in the front room fireplace and maybe one or two other rooms and that’s it.

5 Likes

Not sneering. I’m only too aware that last year 1700 people died of the heat. It’s a tragedy, yes. But what happens if it gets 15°C hotter. What happened in Lytton, Alberta was that the roads melted and then everything burst into flames. I have a feeling the famous British stiff upper lip will do the same.

1 Like
3 Likes

Lytton is in British Columbia not Alberta. Or was…it’s incredibly sad what happened to it. But I don’t want to downplay what is happening now for being just the start. To the contrary, I think understanding how awful it is and that it’s going to get worse is key for getting people to finally do something.

2 Likes