Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

7 Likes

[…]
An estimated 22 gigatonnes of ice melted from the sheet on Wednesday.
[…]

7 Likes

As has been pointed out many times, the only real error groups like the IPCC have made is that their forecasts are far too optimistic. We are way past the prevention stage, going on by the mitigation stage and rapidly approaching just trying to survive stage. As I have said, get small and plant a big garden. We will need them.

8 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Damn.

8 Likes

That’s, ummm, dedication? No, commitment? No. I know! FUCKING OUT THERE! I admire the spirit, but damn, man.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Right?

Yet for most of us, life just keeps going on. It’s like what’s coming is too big to acknowledge, or even see.

8 Likes

At a family gathering recently, one older family member (old 60-70s radical) asked the younger college aged radical if they considered self-immolation as a form of protest. She sorta jokingly replied yes

There is a feeling of helplessness that we have this impending crisis coming and we are wasting time. Nothing is being done and current protests and actions are ignored.

I think we will start to see more and more radical actions going forward.

7 Likes

Obligatory link to “Overmorrow”. The science was atrocious, but do we give it a pass for good intentions?

This is more “sciencey”.

Here’s the article in Nature: Climate Change (only seems available behind a paywall… booo…)

05 August 2021
Observation-based early-warning signals for a collapse of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation
Niklas Boers
Nature Climate Change
Volume 11, pages 680–688 (2021)

Oooh… Python code on Github… now we’re having fun…

5 Likes

6 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

California drought squeezes power supplies: Hydro plant at Lake Oroville shuts down

6 Likes

Unfortunately for us, “radical” is neutral of the left-right designation. Right wingers are just as likely to carry out radical actions as are the left, and more likely in fact, if recent history is any indication.

10 Likes
5 Likes

Among other things, one Mendocino resident drilled a deeper well and it too was dry.

Yikes.

The whole section at The Guardian does a roundup of the weather chaos in the American (U.S.) West.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/climate-crisis-in-the-american-west

More yikes.

7 Likes

Months of raging fires is now the normal thing. We’re not going to be able to stop the yearly (or year-round?) fires. It is just too hot and dry in those regions. If people are going to live in that part of the country, the way homes (and other infrastructure) are built has to change. They need to be built to withstand the fires. No more wood buildings and asphalt shingles. No more surrounding your house with grass lawns, trees and shrubbery, and wooden fences. The buildings need to be designed as bunkers that can survive the inevitable fires.

5 Likes

Budget edition:

2 Likes