Where are all the time travelers?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/10/where-are-all-the-time-travele.html

6 Likes

I am going to go with 1, and a variation on 3 for the reason.

They think we are crazy.

18 Likes

Seems the only logical answer is #5, which is the same answer as to why we haven’t been visited by any aliens. It seems likely that it’s simply impossible, or at least so wildly impractical to be functionally impossible, to get from here to there.

8 Likes

The most satisfying reason I’ve heard is that time travel requires both a sender and receiver time device, so until we get to the period where time travel machines have been invented, we won’t see time travelers, because they can only travel back to a time when receiver devices exist.

30 Likes

There is
#4, they have changed the timeline and we don’t notice its effects whatsoever
#5 the opposite, they are not very good at time travel or altering history

8 Likes

So basically the plot of 12 Monkeys?

11 Likes

i really liked the harry potter idea of time travel, that you cant change the past because thats how it always was and you traveling back in time was part of it (he saw himself before he travelled back and was his other self). this isnt how time travel worked in the play-sequel, so that kinda upends my theory. but i liked that idea.

9 Likes

Consider how utterly unthinkable are the hygienic practices of one or two hundred years ago. Perhaps our current hygiene is even more unthinkable to future generations.

“Oh holy frak, they’re eating with their mouths, right there, in front of everyone. Let’s get out of here.”

(Relevant clip from Star Trek Enterprise not found.)

6 Likes

They’ve bothered with footnotes for the article, but haven’t bothered to note that the visuals are taken from Subnormality #21:

6 Likes

The most likely answer is that traveling backwards in time is simply impossible as our current understanding of physics suggests. This also likely renders faster than light travel impossible, as it would be tantamount to traveling backwards in time. Both violate causality.

8 Likes

It’s pretty unconvincing to say that future humans are just too prissy to visit the present.

1 Like

Typical… I love subnormality… it’s a great comic and doesn’t get nearly the attention it deserves…

sopranos-tony-fuckin-internet|nullxnull

7 Likes

Where have all the time travellers gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Girls have picked them every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

14 Likes

I’m time travelling right now!

26 Likes

If I were a time traveller, forbidden from doing anything to alter the timeline, I sure as hell wouldn’t waste my temporal vacation on the Trump era.

20 Likes
  1. We destroyed the plaent before that tecnology gets developed.
  2. Time is self correcting so all time travelers erase themselves.
  3. The Time Cops are that good.
22 Likes

There’s also the boringly relativistic answer of You can only go forwards

13 Likes

Where are all the time travelers?

Check with the time travelers union, they know.

11 Likes

I’m gonna go with 2:

https://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/001409.html#001409

I think you’ve put your finger on it: they earn time-and-a-half for going to the future, so we never see them here in the past.

13 Likes