Where's Maggie?

Please come back!!! Want to hear from you again more, even if short blurbs and quick clicks. Your contributions to my science life were immense!!! Let’s put a petition together to support your return. Here is the first signature:

:banana:

14 Likes

Just remember:

V. U. V. U. Z. E. L. A.

Even funner times ahead!!!

3 Likes

@maggiek is taking up a job at 538, apparently.

So, yay!

And now, I’m happy to announce that I’m starting a full-time job. From now on, you can find my work at the website FiveThirtyEight.com. Already a smart source of political and sports reporting, FiveThirtyEight is building up its science desk and I’m their first full-time hire. I’m super excited and I hope you’ll check out my reporting there. I’m also going to be writing a monthly column for a new magazine called UnDark. UnDark is critical, investigative reporting about science. My column, The Balance, will be about the science of criminal and social justice. I’ll only be doing it for six months (I sold the column before the FiveThirtyEight gig came along), but I’m very excited about it. I’m looking forward to a 2016 full of hard, important, creative work that I can’t wait to share with you.

15 Likes

Weirdly, it feels wrong somehow. But good on her!

3 Likes

I knew it! She’s been seeing other sites behind our back! She also had a baby girl in July, so I guess she’s allowed to be a little less active in the last year. Here’s the full email I got today, which @daneel quoted earlier:

Hello friends! Maggie Koerth-Baker, here, former metaphorical Gandalf for The Fellowship of Three Things newsletter. Since my Nieman Fellowship ended back in May, I’ve been rather busy. I had a baby in July. (Josephine Koerth Baker, now 7 months old, fat, and happy.) I went back to work as a freelance journalist. (And published a bunch of stuff. More on that later.)

And now, I’m happy to announce that I’m starting a full-time job. From now on, you can find my work at the website FiveThirtyEight.com. Already a smart source of political and sports reporting, FiveThirtyEight is building up its science desk and I’m their first full-time hire. I’m super excited and I hope you’ll check out my reporting there. I’m also going to be writing a monthly column for a new magazine called UnDark. UnDark is critical, investigative reporting about science. My column, The Balance, will be about the science of criminal and social justice. I’ll only be doing it for six months (I sold the column before the FiveThirtyEight gig came along), but I’m very excited about it. I’m looking forward to a 2016 full of hard, important, creative work that I can’t wait to share with you.

If you’re curious what I’ve been up to between the Fellowship and now, here are some links to my recently published stories:
Who Makes the Rules for Outer Space?” – a story about space lawyers and what happens when corporate spaceflight starts to change the legal landscape of the heavens.
Values and Vaccines” – an essay about the debate between scientists and frightened parents over vaccines.
Why Boredom Is Anything But Boring” – a story about the scientists studying what makes us bored, what boredom really means, and how it affects our lives.
Can America Turn Its Nuclear Power Back On?” – a story about the future of the American nuclear industry, and whether such a thing actually exists.
Secret Chambers, Grain Silos, and the Long, Long History of Pyramid Conspiracy Theories” – a story inspired by Dr. Ben Carson.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 871 days. New replies are no longer allowed.