While AR-15s are "sporting rifles" in congress, retired general major calls them "weapons of war. Period"

Originally published at: While AR-15s are "sporting rifles" in congress, retired general major calls them "weapons of war. Period" | Boing Boing

15 Likes

Well this 33-year military veteran is clearly not a real patriot.

38 Likes

To be fair to conservatives in congress, they see war as sport.

27 Likes

“Modern sporting rifle” is a BS industry marketing term for a platform purpose-designed for the military. Of course right-wingers and ammosexuals hopped right on board with it.

26 Likes

yeah i think the general is saying what so many of the rest of us think. a civilian should not have access to these types of weapons. period.

16 Likes

Nor does he know anything about firearms

19 Likes

How dare he contradict the marketing materials.

13 Likes

General Eaton’s comments say more about him than they do about the current situation. The limited experience of a military general officer makes him unable to understand that, for some people, murder is a sport.

9 Likes

Most of my relatives on one side of my family hunt. They have multiple guns. None are an AR-15 or other military adapted weapon

If you need an AR-15 to go hunting, then you are a piss poor hunter.

24 Likes

I suppose It all depends how one defines “sport”.

9 Likes

“I only hunt people for food.”

Eat Mads Mikkelsen GIF

14 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Guns Don’t Kill Americans, Stale Bad Arguments Do

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Guns Don’t Kill Americans, Stale Bad Arguments Do

The responsible hunter’s code: “You kill it, you eat it.”
That requirement put into federal law would certainly have at least some people thinking twice about casually killing someone.

8 Likes

maybe not as many as you might think

14 Likes

Yet these same patriots won’t let folks with said weapons march outside their homes, or go to NRA or RNC conventions. So weird.

12 Likes

24 posts were split to a new topic: AR-15s and Industrial Pest Control

It’s almost like the army knows (page 144) that the much-harped-upon distinction between semiautomatic and selective-fire isn’t all it’s cracked up to be outside of some fairly specific use cases in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.

This, presumably, is also why automatic fire capabilities are deliberately absent in the M16 and M4 versions where they don’t want to even give the user the option of attempting to do a light machine gun’s job really badly.

12 Likes

A sport maybe. But the AR-15 is not very sporting to those it is pointed at. A muzzle-loaded black-powder pistol would be much more sporting. /s

4 Likes

Enter chorus of Internet Warrior gunsplainers, stage left…

9 Likes