White Culture

Is that seriously happening?

I mean, I don’t put it past this type of person, but if this is a concerted effort being disseminated around the country, things are going to get even more evil and violent than they have been already.

10 Likes

Not often, so far. The clearest example I could find was from 2010. More recently, a white guy donned more traditional painted blackface to rob a bank.

7 Likes

Thank heavens for small favors.

9 Likes

17 Likes

I fluv Chidi.

12 Likes

I fluv this person’s comics.

17 Likes

Wish that Map included Hawai‘i. Not because their situation is/was any more heinous, but because it’s one of the most easily parsed, clean cut examples of such, owing largely to a very solid paper trail.

11 Likes

White culture = thinking settler colonialist states are something to be proud of

7 Likes
14 Likes

14 Likes

I’ve recently been binging on the old TV show, Dragnet. I got as far as the second season before jumping down a rabbit hole about the honesty of the production.

13 Likes

Oh god there is so so so much wrong with the actual police work and stories but the back and forth between Joe and Frank in the early seasons is priceless entertainment. The completely wooden acting from Jack Webb as well as most of the other actors is a bonus to the kitch factor.

ETA also check out the Radio show on archive.org for pretty much the same thing.

11 Likes

We had it in syndication while I was at university, but I never had the time to watch. I’d only seen iconic episodes like Blue Boy. The one thing I can never get over is Jack Webb’s gait. The guy hardly swings his arms.
I just finished the drowned baby episode, and it’s just a big scare-story PSA about marijuana being a gateway drug. I kind of find it funny that the husband was right about legalization, though it took a few years longer.
I did watch ADAM-12 as a kid, and it’s interesting to see how the spinoff got its start. I’ll probably finish it off with Emergency!

9 Likes

Oh you are watching the color episodes with Col Potter. Go find the earlier series of black and white. While Harry Morgan was a good foil he doesn’t hold a candle to Ben Alexander as Frank Smith.

9 Likes

For all that Parker reformed the LAPD from the corrupt mess that it was prior to the 1940s into the supposedly well-oiled and professional technocratic organisation portrayed (in cartoonish form) in Dragnet, he was never particularly interested in rooting out the white supremacist mission and attitudes the undergirded it and so many other police departments. The random rousts and beatings were replaced with anti-drug laws and there were some attempts at tokenism, but African-Americans continued to be victimised well past Parker to Gates and beyond.

8 Likes

I wonder how much influence Reagan brought to it, too, having just been elected as governor the same year the color episodes began?

9 Likes

At least some, I’m sure. As I recall, the B&W episodes focused more on straight police procedurals: this is Friday working bunco, this week he’s working traffic, here he is working vice, etc. The colour episodes got a lot more political about the drugs and hippies and “misguided Negro youths”.

9 Likes

White culture = fearful fantasies about non-white people

18 Likes

Hmmm… I am not sure, because in the USA they modify a loot foreign food or invent them and say they’re foreign.
For example:
This is a pizza.

This is not a pizza:

4 Likes
11 Likes