White Culture

11 Likes

15 Likes

Ha! But if that‘s their house behind them they’re more like straight outta the Polo Room.

7 Likes

21 Likes

Exactly. Show all the properties a black family is entitled to see, don’t change the name of a room and think you’ve solved racism.

17 Likes

I was in the thread on the lawyer for the White people pointing guns at a Black Lives Matter protest thinking their statement was the Whitest thing i’d see all day. Then I saw the post about Philip K Disk musing about the simulation hypothesis:

I hadn’t really thought about how the simulation hypothesis is an encapsulation of modern Whiteness. No, PKD, Black people living with the legacy of American slavery haven’t forgotten the barbarism of the past. Indigenous people living in poverty in remote Canadian reserves haven’t forgotten the barbarism of the past. White people are living in a simulation, but it’s not programmed by some super-intelligent species from another reality, it’s programmed by White people to justify their continued dominance of the underlying reality we programmed it in.

19 Likes

Great point. Thank you also for providing another angle for me on Rebecca Roanhorse’s awesome “simulation experience” short story.

9 Likes

This thread, up and down:

16 Likes

Black Student Wondering Where The Culture Is In New Campus Multicultural Center Goes Viral : ‘Frankly, There’s Just Too Many White People In Here’

White culture = thinking your presence should be embraced everywhere

12 Likes

Fajitas are Tex Mex. Not even properly foreign.

5 Likes

At least Tex-Mex originated from the Hispanic people of Texas - it wasn’t just some white shit to start. And besides, Tex-Mex is delicious. What is some white shit is saying “Mexican food” and assuming Tex-Mex is where it starts and ends. It’s a big country with a lot of different, regional cuisine. Tex-Mex isn’t representative of all Mexican cuisine any more than Olive Garden is representative of all Italian food.

9 Likes

Barbacoa

caac9a67914bdc6cb9f674ff866b4d5d--simpsons-party-peter-griffin

11 Likes

And now I want some Tex-Mex food.

Though I’m pretty lucky, because my neighborhood is largely Hispanic, so I’ve got several restaurants (and taco trucks!) to choose from, if I decide to indulge in Mexican food.

11 Likes

In Seattle it’s a Tex-Mex wasteland. It’s basically a running joke along locals here. There’s a few chains but they are adequate at best - nothing like what I grew up with in San Francisco or Mrs Ficus in Texas. We don’t even have an On the Border.

10 Likes

In Kansas, you can find an occasional mom & pop restaurant, but most people go to Chipotle, which they pronounce Chip-ol-tea.

9 Likes

I mean I get annoyed when I hear habanero pronounced with a ñ (especially by professional chefs),

But this drives me crazy.

9 Likes

“And we will protect and preserve the American way of life, which began in 1492 when Columbus discovered America,” he (Trump) added.

12 Likes

Now I’m curious – how is it supposed to be pronounced?

2 Likes

Without the accent, it’s just a regular n.

10 Likes

21st century blackface.

10 Likes