24 Likes

people of the global majority

Excited Emma Stone GIF

17 Likes

White culture = defining “privilege” solely in terms of social class

15 Likes

That’s just a list of dogwhistles…

12 Likes

This is…what? Did someone take this out as an ad? WTF?

Also, most of these relate more to trustafarians and other inheritors than any actual “poors” that I’ve ever known…

13 Likes

Couple of points that I feel the need to clap back at:

Regardless to my employment status (which is active, full time) I have $200 sneakers right now that I bought on consignment for 80% off what they retail for; that twit can take her racist ass assumptions and stick them where the sun don’t shine.

Next up, plenty of people who protest inequality do get fired from their jobs for it. That’s that ‘cancel culture’ such Karens are always complaining about, right there.

Lastly, there is no such fucking thing as “childcare that you don’t pay for”; even subsidized programs have work quotas.

16 Likes

The person who wrote that screed most likely did benefit from such, because they probably had family who were able to provide free childcare because of their effing privileged existence. :rage:

14 Likes

Indeed, but I was talking about official social services, which is what that twunt implied.

13 Likes

I know what you meant, I was being snarky (at the author, not you!)
I just kept rereading it but taking the word “public” out and it sounded exactly like every privileged asshole’s life story and it made my blood boil.

13 Likes

I know those feels, all too well.

13 Likes

How I would love to be able to be in the next panel, saying something like: ‘privilege is repeating from rote memory everything the person just said before me without self-awareness or shame’.

12 Likes

It took me a minute, but I was able to track that BS to its’ source, an assistant principal in Staten Island, named Deborah Morse-Cunningham. If you google her the first result is a petition to remove her from her position.

15 Likes

“Privilege is earning $130,000 per year of taxpayer funds for a job you are obviously inherently unqualified for.”

16 Likes

White Privilege is still maintaining that $130,000/per year job even in the face of such controversy…

14 Likes

In Staten Island? That’s saying something! Good to know there are those fighting the good fight there.

11 Likes

Home of the Wu Tang Clan, yup…

10 Likes

“The “great wealth transfer” will exacerbate all of these inequalities. Wealthy, white millennials will claim a massively disproportionate share of the impending inheritances and intergenerational gifts. And as familial wealth is transferred, and millennials’ “earned” assets appreciate, the generation’s internal class divisions are liable to become more invidious than those of its predecessors. The millennial rich and upper-middle class will be the wealthiest America has ever known. Working-class millennials, meanwhile, are poised to enjoy less economic security than their parents, as their wages fail to keep pace with therising costs of housing and health care.”

Past time for a real death tax? A bit in there regarding racial wealth disparity increases worth considering.

15 Likes

It’s going to be a tough sell, white supremacy aside. The Boomer generation Reagan’d itself into a financial position where whatever substantial wealth its members might be able to leave to heirs (at least 70% of them won’t leave anything beyond personal items) is completely tied up in their home equity. Their Millennial kids know this, and know it’s all they can expect to supplement their even more meagre financial prospects if they’re lucky (and if their parents haven’t taken on a second mortgage or home equity loan to make up for lack of other retirement assets).

So yeah, unless all Millenials wise up and vote in political leaders who understand that this is an unsustainable situation for a liberal democracy, late-stage capitalism will win out and we’ll be into the next chapter of “the rich get rich and the poor get poorer” (without having much fun in the meantime, in between time).

11 Likes

Houses are quite substantial assets. It’s usually the only kind people have ever had to bequeath if you’re working class.

Of course- splitting my parents 9 ways - it didn’t set anyone up for life for sure. Still - thanks! Miss you.

11 Likes