White Culture

Bipartisan means conservative Dems negotiating with the majority of the Democratic Party.

7 Likes

5 Likes

What the hell is happening in that picture? I can’t even…

8 Likes

“Grampa, did we do the right thing? Should rich people keep paying no taxes?”

“Darlin’, don’t you worry. Some of the money they keep will go to our re-election funds!”

“Oh, goodie! Did you hear that Aunt Susan? We did the right thing!”
:face_vomiting:

7 Likes

The Very Senior Prom?

8 Likes

21 Likes

15 Likes

Ha, exactly.

Happy Hour Drinking GIF by Sorry To Bother You

11 Likes

She’s not wrong; code-switching helped me obtain many a job.

15 Likes

That reminds me…

Amber is a national treasure!

13 Likes

And to spell out how it’s on topic, the “white culture” part, of course, is expecting black and brown people to speak that way before they can feel more comfortable/less threatened.

12 Likes

Oh yeah… totally! Everyone should talk how they talk! Double-consciousness ahoy!

9 Likes

I’m on a small private list where everyone just writes in the language they want to, and attaches links in whatever language it comes in. We’re all big boys and girls who can find ways to translate if we’re not strong enough in whichever language. This is how most of the world operates, after all.

Even more than White culture, it’s White culture in the U.S. that demands things be ‘just so’.

13 Likes

A great report from Amber Ruffin on welfare:

9 Likes

Can I suggest that be extended to “English speaking white culture”? Us English speakers are aggressively monoglot in a way not seen in people speaking other languages.

And I do mean aggressive.

9 Likes

More on the subject of language, writers, and culture:

6 Likes

I haven’t followed this properly. I knew nothing about the book in question until Pullman apparently defended it. But did he? I only read the Grauniad article which seems to say he implied disagreeing with a book without reading it is like ISIS or something.

Which is kind of dumb for a start but whatever.

I don’t think he’s defending the book any more. He seems to be guilty of defending a book without reading it which is an interesting take on freeze peach that rarely gets commented on.

It codifies the understanding that there is a class,…a race, a political solidarity whose speech is obviously, hegemonically, free and not subject to the critiques available to, say, a Muslim. A black trans person. Or …

I desperately hope he doesn’t go all Dawkins as I’ve loved some of his books. I think he won’t.

Please do some good work Philip Pullman. Your Sally Lockhart books were possibly the angriest, anti racist, sexist, imperialist, 19th century YA genre fiction I have encountered.

3 Likes

The issue with Pullman has to do with his position as president of a writer’s union. His defense of an author, who was criticized for offensive descriptions of children in her work, led to more attacks against the writers of color who pointed out why the work (and the author’s response to the controversy) were both problematic. When the organization was asked to remove him from that position - based on his own racist/phobic tweets - they refused.

It also underscores the group in society that is free from the negative consequences of their actions. The final tweet from The Mary Sue article sums it up best:

10 Likes

Cross-posting this here…

5 Likes

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

10 Likes