White supremacy, minus gerrymandering: California GOP reduced to "third party status"

Can we please have all future maps presented as cartograms on state POPULATION?
I mean, dirt don’t vote (except in the Senate! groan)

iirc a NYT article had infographics w arrows that showed red shift/blue shift and were quite enlightening. (and I believe the results have shifted bluer since the last data point posting i.e. map is getting bluer in the races called, excepting the cough senate)

Sorry GOPrs, your day is done (in by demographics and asshattery on your lunatic side - see: Trump/Putin, dipshits dickheads and assholes/deplorables)

7 Likes

Isn’t that the farm team for right-wing hacks that hope to eventually rise up the ranks to Fox?

5 Likes

Not entirely. Yes, residual red pockets in blue areas were erased, but there were blue inroads made in otherwise red areas, such as Texas and Arizona. Demographics are a bitch, and when you have built your platform on racist rhetoric specifically aimed at the fastest growing demographic group in areas that you consider your heartland you will find those same folks not terribly likely to vote for you. They may, in fact, vote for your opponent, if your efforts at voter suppression are overcome. Just funny how that works. Dont get me wrong, the Southwest is not a blue wall yet, but the horizon looks distinctly purple right now, with blue in the forecast. And, now here is a pipedream, even in the red states, if we can get the young voters to come out and vote in numbers, even there it could go a purplish color. We just need to survive as country to the next election. A big ask…

10 Likes

The larger context is fascinating. Not long ago, there was a serious power struggle between the CA and national GOP. The national GOP was taking a George W Bush approach —make the party appealing to church-going Latino- and Asian-Americans by focusing on family values and a pro-life position. But the state GOP was dominated by the old guard OC-style Republicans who wanted to keep the party white.

The national GOP won that battle.

1 Like

Just so you know so…

29 Likes

Where in the world did ‘Latinx’ come from? Are we not allowed to say ‘Hispanic’ anymore? Is it the new politically correct shibboleth or something?

Yes, someone else electing to use a particular form of a demonym means you’re no longer allowed to use the old one or another such as Latine. That’s totally how language works. Cory’s usage is the law of the…oh shit, there is no law stopping us from using different terms. It’s all been a lie! How ever shall we get outraged at the evolution of language if we can’t pretend that someone else not using our preferred terminology is an attack on our own?

Quick, to the manufactured outrage bunker!

The broflakes are melting! The broflakes are m̵̨̮̖̭̞̘̀̇̄̀̆͊͋̒͋̓è̶̤̂͊͌̎̆l̵̨̪͚̺̝̘̦͓̗̻͚̈̊̓̕͝͠t̸̳̲̬͈̏͊̏͋͝ị̸̱͖̩̥̱̗̭̤̀̌͋͐͑͛͝n̵̥̥̘̻̰̰̞̣̂ĝ̷̡̧̖̫̼͍̯̖̝͓̥̗̈́̌… /s

20 Likes

Of course to some degree, that is why the racists were so energized once they heard Trumps rhetoric. They are seeing more brown faces, these days and it really gets under their skin.

7 Likes
20 Likes

To their credit, the Bushes actually appear to not be racist, beyond the usual systemic stuff you pretty much can’t avoid if you’re a rich white person in America. This doesn’t excuse or absolve their other flaws (or W.'s generally terrible presidency), but it does mark them apart from the rampant racists and xenophobes that have taken over the GOP.

10 Likes

I’ve always assumed it’s a gender-neutral neologism subsuming both “Latino” and “Latina”.

14 Likes

https://youtu.be/lhwLj2qIT4k

5 Likes

But it’s called Latin America because of the languages spoken there (Spanish or Portuguese) are descended from Latin. Indeed as a term it implies that the most important thing about South and Central America is that the languages imposed upon it was that spoken by conquerors from the Hispanic Peninsula. (Spain and Portugal)
Edited because of my earlier confusion between Hispaniola and the Hispanic Peninsula)

1 Like

There is Basque and Catalan.

8 Likes

If that were true, we’d have had more Democratic presidents.

Sadly, right now third parties exist just enough to spoil elections on a regular basis.

3 Likes

Or if you were an Old back in 1988:

https://www.apnews.com/13d443128c00fe8592eaadb903c823c1

I do believe that Bush Sr. learned from that incident.

9 Likes

Also, Kansas, always a super red state, elected a Democrat as governor and a gay Native American woman to Congress who ran on a super progressive platform. There are cracks in the red states.

10 Likes

Yes, but those are not spoken by large numbers of South Americans. Probably more important is French Guiana, where the colonizers spoke French, another language descended from Latin, albeit not one spoken commonly in much of the Hispanic peninsula. But my point was that ultimately, both Latino/a/ix and Hispanic have their origins as linguistic descriptions.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. Italian and many other languages are descended from Latin.

3 Likes

Just that I find the contention that Hispanic describes a language and Latino describes geography amusing when BOTH terms have their origin as linguistic descriptions. And neither has anything to do with the native languages of the region.