Who Americans spend their time with

AKA, why I wouldn’t retire if I was still working.

Btw, I assume this is waking hours in a day, otherwise that Partners one is way off.

3 Likes

I know, right? Is this the perfect way to spend a perfect sunday night or what!

1 Like

I wouldn’t join a club that had him as a member.

4 Likes

As best I can tell, it’s the age of the person in question.

QED, wrinklies are into JRPGs and just like soccer champions will allocate 6 hours for medical appointments for 13 total minutes of meeting medical professionals because they come ‘alone’ with their fans and teammates, then reject 9 Lyft drivers home because they’re all playing the same Persona 5 character and walk to a cafe.

4 Likes

That doesn’t count as alone, does it? Does it?

2 Likes

I love my alone time. I’m perpetually single, and have a few close friends I try to spend time with. My job is very, very social, so I really appreciate the down time. Dare I say, spending a lot of time with oneself is the gateway to finding all the answers. It’s worked that way for me, for my whole life, anyway.

1 Like

Introverts united!

5 Likes

It’s because the older you get, the more you realize everyone else is an asshole… or everyone realized you’re the asshole. Either way, more time for Matlock reruns, amiright?

9 Likes

Label yer damn graph axes, people!

1 Like

Just because you’re alone, doesn’t mean you’re lonely.

5 Likes

Yes, where’s the slot for ‘Quality time with named weaponry’ and ‘In group meditation thrall to keep NY’s s*** together’ and ‘unseen continuity work on some YouTuber’s montage?’ Part of the onboarding for the yoga in the park things; [chorus] “I have no idea who these [other people] are.” Anyone seen the tram to get from Fakenews to Bluesociology?

6 Likes

Ellen, and Oprah, mostly, it turns out…

1 Like

Me, too. I think a graph like this tells the story much better:

(Not 100% sure I got it right in Excel; check my work before relying on it. Point is that I don’t think the original set of graphs present the information well, and this type of graph would be better.)

9 Likes

I’m still playing Skyrim thanks to Interesting NPC’s, which adds many fascinating and very-fleshed-out characters. While doing a quest I ran into one of those characters named Anum-La, whom I hadn’t seen in months. I was overjoyed at seeing my former companion. Beaming. I mean, honestly the happiest I’ve ever been running into anyone. And then a minute later I realized whom I was actually feeling these feelings toward.

1 Like

Hooray! Count me in - I won’t be there!

2 Likes

I like your approach here, but the numbers dont add up to the same number through time because

The data do not count sleep, or time with people who wouldn’t be categorized in any of the relationships shown. (ref).

The total hours in the data vary from 10.52 hours to 16.48.

“people who wouldn’t be categorized in any of the relationships shown” covers a wide swath of activities that we could probably have disagreements about. if I am alone at work where does that fall? If I am at work in a client’s office or building something at a client’s house are they a co-worker? if I am a senior in a nursing home with staff to help me, are those co-workers? Friends? Am I alone at the museum, when I am at the museum?

That sounds awful. Banacek, now…

1 Like

Probably inspired by Ambrose Bierce.

Where’s the “Time spent playing on phones/tablets when you’re with friends/partners/children” graph?

2 Likes