Introverts' joy of lockdown getting ruined by extroverts filling their schedules with video appointments

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/09/introverts-joy-of-lockdown-g.html

13 Likes

A guy I know online complains that he gets into more meetings now that he’s working from home, sometimes 8 hours a day.

23 Likes

Yeah, this is me. I’m working more now that I get to telecommute than I ever did being at work. And my extroverted supervisors are making me meet to listen to them discuss how to get work done while I’m trying to get work done in spite of their meetings. I’m even having to decline calls from coworkers who need support because I’m in meetings.

42 Likes

“Sorry, I’ve already got plans to Zoom with someone else at that time.”

26 Likes

Also “sorry, had technical difficulties”

24 Likes

Also, “sorry, I forgot.”

Don’t feel guilty, introverts. Relish your new found isolation. This is OUR time, this is OUR moment to shine. Shine on brightly alone, my fellow wall flowers.

46 Likes

This essential worker’s ability to keep it together is getting ruined by the constant back and forth about how hard it is to be safe at home.

Too many video meetings? Sounds fine. I’m about to spend an hour in my 5th grocery store for the day. I’ve already had about 100 people violate my personal space.

12 Likes

Not much of a problem for me tbh, i’m too much of an antisocial that people don’t bug me to do shit most of the time. Only standing commitments i have are calling my parents once a week and our weekly online D&D session. Occasionally i do game with online friends as well but not often enough that it wears me out (maybe once a week or so)

15 Likes

Throw this up on the screen.
buffering

42 Likes

I feel like the social media scene is portraying most of US society as either recently unemployed or furloughed with pay… meaning you basically have all the time in the world to sit at home and do nothing.

On the other hand the wife and I both still have 40 hour week jobs working from both home and the office and now trying to school one child and take care of a toddler. Just fuck my shit right on up, my life wasn’t setup for this.

28 Likes

You play D&D with your folks? So cool.

I taught my son to play back in the '90s, and we still have regular sessions.

9 Likes

Dammit, thanks for reminding me that I’ve got a video meeting in half an hour. :unamused:

11 Likes

i should’ve worded it better, the weekly D&D session is with some online friends (i’ve been really tired this entire week so excuse my lack of clarity :stuck_out_tongue: ). That said i wish my parents played! My older brother does play though.

7 Likes

I am an “essential worker”, which means I am at my workplace MWF for a half day to make sure no one is vandalizing the building and we haven’t broken a water pipe or something catastrophic. Half of my time each day is taken up by mandatory online meetings with Admin; for the past week, nothing really new has come out of the meetings. I’d much rather be spending the time on the wish list projects that couldn’t be done with the public in the building.

26 Likes

Obviously there’s a need for an app that creates a fake you for video meetings, watching attentively as other people go on and on, while you listen with half an ear by speaker or Bluetooth headphones doing something else.

It would have to be able to transition smoothly from fake you => real you when the meeting swings to you, including stalling while you get in position. (Pro-tip: make sure both yous are wearing the same shirt.)

14 Likes

Who’s zoomin’ who?

1 Like

Also, “Sorry, I don’t like you.”

Helps with nixing future plans as well.

19 Likes

applause-chris-tucker

7 Likes

Immediately reminded me of:

So, thank you.

6 Likes

I’m a trustee of two charities, and at both we are encouraging the staff to do exactly this. That “building inventory” that we keep putting off. The “cupboard of doom”. You know.

9 Likes