Introverts' joy of lockdown getting ruined by extroverts filling their schedules with video appointments

I’m still waiting for that gif to load. Stupid rural DSL…

16 Likes

This is me as well. Haven’t had one single invite to online groupings. Enjoying my time parked in the desert, far away from everyone but a quarantine buddy, and the occasional freight train engineer.
Definitely scratching things off the to do list almost as fast as I find new things to add.

3 Likes

Also essential worker, M-F…funny how all the WFH peeps suddenly have time to dig into and critique EVERYTHING I DO!

2 Likes

I feel you. Don’t know if you’re in a position to do so, but about 1.5 years ago I let my managers/clients know that I wasn’t going to be at any meetings that didn’t have an agenda and expect to result in action items. I just had too much other stuff to get done, and they’d rather I focus on getting it done, right? Always available for a one-on-one call to help think things through as needed, but no routine, unproductive meetings. It has changed my entire work life, for the better. Good luck!

10 Likes

Oh, you’re welcome! Any time I can channel the Goonies, even totally accidentally, I consider myself successful.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I’ve never been in a position to say “Sorry, I can’t come to your useless meeting.”

4 Likes

That’s an answer to some problem but not this one.

Introverted doesn’t mean you are anti-social or don’t like people, it just means you enjoy activities where you are alone? Of course you are welcome to be anti-social, but that is a different thing.

But yeah, as someone who is WFH with a 4 year old, I don’t really feel bad for extroverts or introverts as much as essential service workers who not only have to come to work every day but also then deal with grumpy/asshole members of the public who are sheltered in place keeping themselves safe but can’t really think about how to keep the service workers they depend on safe, and especially for those with kids who have no school or daycare but still have to figure out a way to get to work every day while not committing child neglect.

That’s one of the things that really frustrates me about this. I understand the value and need for social distancing, but it was clear to me from the beginning that it was basically a luxury for the rich. People with crappy low paying jobs are largely either essential workers who still have to come to work and live with substantial additional risk (while being told they can’t do anything outside of working hours) or become unemployed and maybe don’t have healthcare if they do get COVID19 and/or have to go out looking for an even worse job like local delivery driver that makes sure well off people can still get their craft supplies via mailorder while they are safely at home.

6 Likes

That might be your issue - it’s all about diplomacy :wink: Try instead, “I know you’re wanting this thing to get done, which I am critical to. I’m not sure how much value I’d be bringing to this preliminary meeting about x, y, z. Do you think it would make sense for me to focus on moving this other piece closer to where you want it, and I can join this other conversation when I might have something to add?”
But seriously, I know I’m very lucky.

7 Likes

SOMEONE has to plant the wall flowers. Sheesh, leave us alone and let us garden.

2 Likes

Yeah no… I’m perfectly fine telling people I have tv scheduled with the woman. or whatever.

Keep waiting my friend, keep waiting. Wuhan did 70 days and you can too.

1 Like

One thing I’ve always been curious about extroverts: First, how do you maintain interest in the things your many cozy pals say? And, how do you deal with constant farting if you’re a social person? I much prefer to steer clear from my fellow sapiens, (they seem more relieved too) which allows me to let 'em loose whenever (often) they exert pressure. If I had loads of social contact, God knows how uncomfortable I’d be…I mean besides feigning interest.

1 Like

This headline could easily point to an Onion article as well.

6 Likes

I have a meeting on Monday that I get to decline because of a standing meeting with a committee that I can argue is more important. Minor victories…

3 Likes

Not saying you should, but just wondering, why can’t we just say, No.

1 Like

Too many headlines lately feel like they should be from the Onion but sadly are not.

9 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty common. It’s good advice anyway to add some blockers to your calendar to get real work done, and set them to private if you share your calendar with others. That way it looks like you’re already booked for the time. If you block a longer time, use serval hour long slots. Make them repeat weekly, so you have less setting up to do. Then enjoy how you get stuff done while other meet.

4 Likes

At this moment I’m suffering through a 30-person Zoom meeting where people who don’t normally create digital content are pitching ideas for digital content. I want to unmute my mic and scream.

9 Likes

I imagine it is going like this:

5 Likes

That’s quite fuzzy. Jung coined the term and in his telling it referred to some one who was driven by their own introspection and intellectual mind, with a heavy implication that this was morally superior.

To the extent that it’s an actual metric/descriptor in psychology today everyone has both introverted and extroverted behaviors. Situationally, and varying over time. And what’s meant by each is quite different that the common conception.

But our current obsession with the subject is more down to popularity of the Myers-Briggs personality test and it’s conception of the terms. Myers Briggs isn’t a scientific test, personality tests in general aren’t much a scientific concept, They tend to have more in common with horoscopes and hand writing analysis than anything. Basically all the categories they use are described in unrelentingly positive language, vague enough to describe anyone. So everyone get’s to hear exactly what they’d like in the end.

http://skepdic.com/myersb.html

And in particular we seem to have become very attached to the Introvert term, and the same superior bent Jung laced into it.

3 Likes