Group chat: "an all-day meeting with random participants and no agenda"

[Read the post]

“an all-day meeting with random participants and no agenda”

I have had those kinds of days.

3 Likes

Horrible, horrible idea. I will use IM for work only under duress, and I will gnaw off my own keyboard before I’ll chat. I don’t suppose people who don’t know each other ever devolve into a flame war, do they? Kind of like… any other chat. This is not productive, nor will it enhance ones professionalism.

4 Likes

I used to do that with my last team. 2 group chats actually on for the internal team and a cross team one. We were all virtual (or had offices that were 1000+ miles apart). The cross team was only for notifications like ‘work on request 1234 is done monitoring and backup team you should see it in your queue now’ to make sure things didn’t sit for more than a day. The internal team chat was general chatter or a note to hey some one help me out in an separate session with an issue.

It worked out well for us since nobody sat next to an actual team member so you couldn’t just pop your head over the cubicle wall.

@doctorow, i hope you read this (no need to respond)

HELL FUCKING YES

i am been trying to get these ideas through the skulls of professionals i know. it is infuriating, and i am so relieved i am not the only one to come to this conclusion.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.