Introverts' joy of lockdown getting ruined by extroverts filling their schedules with video appointments

Ooh it’s not quite that bad but as the sole technical person in my organization (a museum) I’ve been in so many of those. I force my colleagues to watch that video every once in a while.

2 Likes

I’ve lost count of how many times I have shared this. I’m a dev but frequently work closely with designers and was originally an art major in college so I feel the pain.

2 Likes

(Pro-tip: make sure both yous are wearing the same shirt.)

Or no shirt at all. Putting the “casual” in “business casual”.

3 Likes

Nah, that’s just an excuse cooked up by the extroverts to enforce their will and keep the introverts in their place. As everything else is. {joke - but not as much of one as I wish it was.}

2 Likes

my right brain tells me they want to keep us from using the tongue map to activate more than 10% of something.

But I can’t remember what.

#introvert

Shorter: I can’t work on the thing you want me to work on if you keep dragging me into useless meetings about the thing you want me to work on.

Meeting-happy fools, as far as I can tell, are useless bloviators who value their self-aggrandizement over all other considerations until deadlines get missed. Then it’s all your fault they don’t look fabulous - not theirs. So sociopaths or narcissists? Sometimes both?

5 Likes

Play modem noise over the connection and disconnect. Problem solved due to technical difficulties.

2 Likes

So, we’re going to need to meet to talk about that deadline you missed.

2 Likes

2 Likes

One of the things I’ve been seeing is that social norms might change to where that is acceptable. For centuries people can’t say what they mean, and maybe eventually we can evolve to where we can. Probably unrealistic but a person can dream, anyway.

Fucking A. My workplace has become filled with virtual “mandatory fun” events, camera strongly encouraged.

4 Likes

Hah! I got that one covered :wink:

My job at UPS is classed as ‘essential’, so i’m still at work. And since i start work at 3.45AM i have a cast-iron excuse for missing online meetings in the evenings if i want to :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve been cultivating not carrying my phone with me for years, and am often working with machinery in my garage workshop. Can’t tell you how many calls and e-mails have recently been ignored because “I was in the garage, and wasn’t near my devices”.

3 Likes

Music, films, games and now sunshine and birdsong when I go outside to read the pile of books that I’d acrued - this is what I was looking for when I quit work last year! The only face-to-face call I get is an occasional Duo-call from one of my daughters which I don’t begrudge - glad I get to speak to my other daughter and my technically challenged partner over the phone every couple of days.

1 Like

You need to watch this. UK - BBC - Newsnight. At last, a journalist tells it like it is.

(EDITED to remove previous video clip link as YouTube one now provided is more complete.)

First 1’50" only, you’ll have to sit through 20 secs of programme theme music - stick with it, Emily is on great form here: “They tell us coronavirus is a great leveller. It’s not. It’s much, much harder if you’re poor.”!

5 Likes

Yes and no? Introverts lose energy in group settings and recharge when alone. Extroverts are the opposite. It has nothing to to with what you enjoy or don’t enjoy.

2 Likes

Just have your fake you recite randomly from an extended buzzword bingo wordlist.

1 Like

Thanks, exactly. Boris Johnson and Rand Paul getting coronavirus doesn’t make the disease an equalizer.

One thing I keep coming back to as well is that the people being asked to risk the most for COVID19 and sacrifice the most are doing so for the sake of those who haven’t been willing to sacrifice a dime for threats like global warming which are much more serious, and will of course disproportionately affect the same segment of the population.

If I were younger and underemployed, I would probably be having covid parties, and holding giant rallies, strikes, and picket lines – social distancing be damned. Because if there is one thing you can be 100% sure of, it is that your sacrifices today won’t be remembered with anything more than platitudes of thanks a year from now, at least by enough people to actually do something about it. People like me, who have secure jobs and want to protect our families will do what needs to be done if given no other choice. We should be passing universal healthcare, improved workers rights, and better social safety nets now instead of bailing out corporations. Or even in addition: I don’t actually object to economic stimulus as long as we take care of people first.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.