Who Americans spend their time with

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/25/who-americans-spend-their-time.html

3 Likes

I would not want to see a Venn of me and the Alone graph. :disappointed:

It would look a lot like Demetri Martin’s pie chart on procrastination. :blush:

11 Likes

Reexamine this in a few years after Virtual Sex is both cheap and ubiquitous. Those “Alone” shall increase in number.

3 Likes

After looking at that chart I’m led to wonder, who is this Alone with whom so many people spend so much time?

14 Likes

13 Likes

I’m right there with ya’.
…oh, wait.

20 Likes

Why isn’t there a chart for “NPCs”? That’s, um, totally a distinct thing from ‘Alone’, if the writers are good, right?

18 Likes

Old age is a lonely time. When you have more time outside of work.

2 Likes

Let’s all be alone…together!

9 Likes

The length of my day will need to increase as I get older for me to have that kind of curve on my “alone time”…

7 Likes

Maybe it’s nobody.

The sixth is a gut-punch.

Honestly I think the first is the saddest.

7 Likes

And here I am, eating dinner by myself while reading depressing graphs and listening to horror music… Thanks Boing Boing!

11 Likes

It’s also called “the Internet.”

6 Likes

I saw this linked on Daring Fireball recently, and I spent a good five minutes furrowing my brow at the x-axes on these graphs, which (as is common in the misguided-Tufte-worship industry) they’d failed to label in any way.

12 Likes

“If you are lonely when you’re alone, you are in bad company.”

Sartre could be such an ass sometimes. :wink:

8 Likes

Pets? (EXTRA CHARACTERS FOR @codinghorror)

4 Likes

Yay!!!

Oh… oh wait. We, we already do that. We’re doing it right now.

…that’s alright then.

3 Likes

I dunno. Even at the peak, that’s only a third of the day alone.

And if you look at the other graphs to see what’s providing the slack, it looks like (disregarding the youthful peaks) quality time with friends, family and partner all hold steady throughout (or even climb a bit, in the latter case). What falls off is time with children (which is natural as they leave the nest), and time with co-workers (who needs 'em).

So maybe what’s happening is as the time demands of work and child-rearing ease later in life, people are simply choosing to spend most of the time windfall on ‘me’ time (and the rest on partner time) rather than anything else. Which would be a positive, at least to the extent that it’s really voluntary.

The sad part is really that sudden droop in ‘partner’ time at around age 70 - because presumably that’s mortality rather than voluntary separation.

16 Likes

do you know of &nbsp(semicolon)?

workarounds man, all decent systems have workarounds so they still work. :wink: