Who eats impossible burgers?

I help to run an organization that feeds hundreds of artists every summer, and I can tell you, based on that, that there are hardly any vegans anymore. There are still tons of vegetarians.

Me, I’m a pollopescetarian (i don’t eat mammals), and I love the impossible burger!

4 Likes

I might, but not because it tasted like a human baby.

If I liked the taste of something, and then some weirdo said “hey this tastes just like baby” I’m not going to stop liking the taste.

1 Like

But if it was a new product that was the direct result of a years-long effort to develop a food that tasted just like human baby—and marketed as such—would you go out of your way to give it a try?

2 Likes

Would it be too weird if I said yes?

2 Likes

In my experience (so, plural of anecdote :stuck_out_tongue: ) vegetarians arrive at their dietary choices by several paths.

Some do it for their own health, and though they sometimes proselytize a bit, they’re not likely to be the ones complaining about having to go to the meat aisle to grab a pack of Impossible™ Burgers

Others do it because they’re literally revolted at the notion of eating food that required an animal to die. For them, having to walk down an aisle of animal carcass portions to get their vegetarian protein would be creepy as hell, if not actually nauseating.

{Not an exhaustive list, YMMV}

3 Likes

I’d assume it was a weird sting to arrest anyone who complained of false advertising.
Tastes Just Like Human Baby!
“No it doesn’t!”
Have a seat over there.

7 Likes

I like meat. I mean, i really, really like it as in “dry age entire primal cuts in a modified cooler” liking it.

And I’m absolutely, 100% behind vat-grown meat, Impossible Burgers, Beyond Meat and all the other good kill-free(*) or plant-based alternatives. Current meat production is unsustainable, and any meal you can get without having to slaughter an animal with a brain is good.

(*) No, the traditional Ethiopian practice of cutting slices off of a living cow does not count.

6 Likes

Can I interest you in some delicious pickled jellyfish?

1 Like

I’ve had jellyfish salad. It was alright.

2 Likes

I first encountered this notion in the form of a “tall tale” from the Texas oil patch.

The tl;dr version:

I understand that Ethiopians kinda have a thing for raw meat, but is the slice-it-off-a-live-cow thing actually for real :interrobang:

2 Likes

Do insects have brains, or is it more of a central ganglia situation?

2 Likes

I think insects have a brain, albeit a very tiny one.

I’ve read that octopodes (I’m so proud to be able to type that word without contriving an excuse) have something more akin to a router.

But jellyfish… It’s barely the description of a mesh net protocol…

3 Likes

Usually they use a bolt gun for cows. For chickens they use an axe or wring their necks. How would you use a brain?

2 Likes

I could while away the hours
Conferrin’ with the flowers,
Consulting with the rain;
And my head I’d be a scratchin’
While my thoughts are busy hatchin’
If I only had a brain.

15 Likes

The locals here make Cabeza tacos with them

5 Likes

LOL. I need to try one of these!

1 Like

It was never common, generally something done as a spectacle by royal or very wealthy people. I am sure it has gone extinct by now, but it was a thing over a century ago.

2 Likes

Central ganglia.

2 Likes

since we seem to be pooling data about availability of Impossible burgers, I should mention that your local Hard Rock Cafe offers ¼pound Impossible burgers as of the last menu update a few months ago.
still haven’t had one yet, though.

4 Likes

From what I understand this is really what their mission is. Not to provide a meat analog for vegans or vegetarians (there’s already plenty of delicious options here), but as a guiltless meat alternative for meat eaters.

I think that when prepared properly, Impossible burgers are wonderful.

4 Likes