Who eats impossible burgers?

No. People don’t like vegans because when one or two complain like that, meaties allow confirmation bias to kick in, and suddenly those one or two become typical. Despite the vast majority of vegans who keep quiet about how and why they eat.

5 Likes

4 Likes

by most accounts, pork chops. You’re welcome.

That’s what I meant. The few who act like this ruin it for everyone.

3 Likes

Eating “vegan” food in a fast food joint is just a question of trust. I have difficulty enough believing that a professional chef has the skills and motivation to keep animal and non-animal produce separate. And there are personal and commercial reasons aplenty why they should. Minimum wage teen smoking weed and deep-frying their hands to stop the boredom? Not so much. Although in those circumstances I guess a little burger grease in your food is the least of your worries.

And the whole resistance to meat in the non-meat aisle seems hard for non-vegetarians to understand. Try it this way. Think of meat products as shit. How near would you want the food you’re going to eat stored to that? How much of that do you want in your food? And no, that’s not being unreasonable. No false equivalence, that’s literally how bad it is.

2 Likes

Here’s my thing: I grew up as a child enjoying burgers and chicken nuggets and not thinking about where they came from. They were just “food”. I never liked meat with bones and un-chewable bits of fat and gristle in them. Chicken with bones and beef Steak especially grossed me out and I usually went for more processed versions. At some point about 20 years ago I decided I really didn’t want to be eating animals that needed to be killed. I eat veggie burgers all the time. I don’t think about how they are meant to taste like animal flesh - it’s more like being able to revert to that time when I was a kid when a hamburger was just food. I like hamburgers. I just don’t like dead cows in my hamburgers.

5 Likes

Just to bring things to a more reasonable, rational level: we’re not talking about hunks of animal-meat buddying up to hunks of plant-based vegan meat. We’re talking about pre-packaged foods in the freezer or refrigerator sections. Having been a vegetarian for a decade and a half, I couldn’t care less if they bump up against each other. They aren’t cross-contaminating or affecting each other in any way. Yes, equating all meat products with fecal matter as justification for keeping them far, far away from vegan products is a tad unreasonable.

2 Likes

The example I’ve heard used is cat stew: “Just take the pieces of meat out…what’s the big deal?”

3 Likes

In theory you’re right, but in reality meat juice/blood leaks through the thin plastic film packaging all the time. And fecal matter is very much a part of meat production, which is why there are so many e coli issues with meat.

Frozen, I agree, is too frozen for any juices to contaminate.

2 Likes

This is true, but context is important: veggie burgers aren’t being shelved next to steaks or chicken that’s leaking blood onto it. They’re either shelved next to frozen burger patties (like Bubba Burgers), frozen turkey/chicken burgers, or refrigerated pre-packaged burger patties. And the refrigerated burgers, like Beyond Burgers, are tightly shrink-wrapped inside and out – there’s no cross contamination happening there. So pearl-clutching over them being six inches from plastic-wrapped meat is a bit silly.

2 Likes

May I suggest

Just finished this one. Surprisingly good.

4 Likes

Just don’t eat Octopuses please. They’re way too clever.

Jellyfish - don’t give a damn. To Hell, with ALL of them.

4 Likes

Yep. There’s (literally) shit in the meat.

Cf. Fast Food Nation

1 Like

There is in the veggies, too. Manufactured food is shitty, period.

5 Likes

There’s more than one reason to favor impossible burgers over beef burgers, and vice versa. Nutrition may be one of those reasons; here are some numbers (source: Healthline.com)

3 Likes

This (price) is my biggest concern. I don’t think our Burger King here in Germany has picked them up yet, but when they do I’m worried it’s going to double the price of the lunch I’d typically get. I already don’t buy the overpriced “flagship” burgers like a Whopper (at 4-6 EUR for a single burger by itself) and opt for 2-3 “regular” hamburgers/cheeseburgers instead, at about half the cost.

As I understand it, BK has two sizes of stock beef patties, probably 1/10 and 1/4 pound. I don’t expect them to make Impossible “small” patties, I expect it to be a “large” patty that competes with Whoppers and is even more expensive. This jibes with the nutrition data chart posted above, the “beef burger” macros above mostly match the BK website nutrition data for a Whopper minus bun and mayo (each of which have about as many calories as the beef!).

So, instead of grabbing a quick, filling (if very unhealthy) lunch of 3 burgers and a small fry for around 5 EUR, I’m looking at significantly less protein for likely 8-10 EUR. If it were “only” 50% more expensive I’d make it a habit, but it’s hard to justify doubling my budget.

You want a healthy and cheap lunch in Germany? Just go for a döner kebab made with falafel or lentils instead of meat.

4 Likes

I’d love that but unfortunately all the döner places near me don’t have either of those. There’s a very good Lebanese place downtown, but the last time I ate there I discovered that apparently falafel gives me a frankly shocking amount of gas :flushed:

2 Likes

It’s the chickpeas: a lot of cooks don’t realize that you have to rinse off any beans or legumes after soaking/cooking. If they don’t do that, you get gas.

5 Likes

A shocking amount of gas is the best part! :grinning:

2 Likes