Who is your favorite complex black female antihero?

[Permalink]

Thatā€™s a toughie. The only antihero I can think of is ZoĆ« Washburne from Firefly. She was a hero, but also a criminal. Iā€™m not sure how complex she was.

2 Likes

Martha Washington from ā€œGive Me Libertyā€ immediately came to mind - complex, female, blackā€¦and created by two white dudes. But still a great antihero from a prescient and insightful graphic novel.

3 Likes

Vanessa Williams as Wilhelmina Slater in Ugly Betty. Maybe thatā€™s just a villain?

My all time favorite comic character is Amanda Waller. Her anti-hero credentials are legit. She is almost always an antagonist to the heroes, but she sees her manipulations (and not occasional assassinations) as a necessary evil to protect her country.

3 Likes

There was Medea Blitz from the American Flagg comic.

2 Likes

Condoleezza Rice

7 Likes

Too true!

Does Michonne from the Walking Dead count? Is everyone in that series essentially an anti-hero at this point? I refer to the comic book, not the TV series, which I donā€™t watch because Iā€™m a Luddite.

6 Likes

Agent 355 of ā€˜Y: The Last Manā€™

2 Likes

Aunty Entity of Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.

I guess technically sheā€™s a villain, but she had a moral code about as honorable as anyone elseā€™s in that post-apocalyptic setting. And she did ultimately let Mad Max live, probably because she thought he was a hunk.

2 Likes

A current favorite of mine is Annalise Keating (played by Viola Davis) in ā€œHow to Get Away with Murderā€.

She was also my first thought, but really, only Jayne can really be considered an anti-heroā€¦the others, despite doing petty crime, are definitely the good guys of the show.

So, um, yeah. Off the top of my head, I canā€™t think of anyone.

Iā€™d say Pam Grierā€™s Foxy Brown, not particularly complex but she set the template for the ABW.

2 Likes

Okay, not particularly complex. Still, though.

5 Likes

Thereā€™s always something else.

Off the top of my head (splat!) that would be the goddess Kali. But some might fuss if they are taking ā€œblackā€ to mean ā€œAfricanā€. Kali is black, her name even meaning ā€œThe Black Oneā€, or ā€œWho Is Blackā€. If we are to consider this Afrocentrically, Iā€™d say the loa Marinette. But I will surely think of others at other times, I donā€™t usually think about favorites of anything, since it depends upon my mood.

1 Like

Troy from Crooklyn. Sheā€™s the central character, but her heroic qualities vacillate: she shoplifts, she pees in the hallway, sheā€™s a total brat sometimes.

IRL, Iā€™d say Bahamadia, whom Iā€™ll characterize as an antihero in the sense that itā€™s more-or-less a given that a rapper is an antihero, particularly a 90s rapper. her complexity is superb:

2 Likes

Iā€™m going with Lana from Archer.

2 Likes

I was going to mention Lana Kane from Archer as well. Sheā€™s actually a regular hero in most regards, as opposed to an anti-hero. Sheā€™s principled, usually rational, and generally the voice of reasonā€¦except that she works for a semi-evil spy agency, packs automatic weapons, and kills people time to time. But still, aside from Cyril, sheā€™s the ā€œgoodā€ one!