Who or what is your confidence-boosting alter ego?

I once correctly identified someone as a Canadian who had lived in Australia for a time by her accent. So it’s definitely possible, even for non native speakers.

5 Likes

I was thinking of this chap.

Oh well, there goes my joke…

4 Likes

I was going to look him up, but then I realized I couldn’t be asked.

2 Likes

Absolutely, this one can.

As an (only) English speaker who grew up with a mix of native, US and UK (and to a lesser extent continental European) popular culture, I find it pretty easy to distinguish accents.

I doubt I’m unique in this respect.

7 Likes

How about Cheradenine Zakalwe. But we don’t talk about the furniture he made,

1 Like

Nah, that was the other guy…

:grin:

4 Likes

You should be the first player in our game show!

You can play against @Doctor_Faustus!

Happy Game Show GIF by ABC Network

6 Likes

5 Likes

Australia is pretty weak on regional accents. There’s urban vs. rural (rural sounds more “Australian”) but that’s mostly it. One exception - people from South Australia (Adelaide) can sound a bit more English than the rest of us.

1 Like

There are three "a"s in Australian English, and one of them is accent-variable.

So there’s the /æ/ in “cat”, “grab”, “hat”, and that’s pretty solid wherever you are.
There’s the /ɑ/ in “father”, “car” (which in some accents might vary as much as to [a] or [ʌ], but whatever the realisation is, it’s pretty solid in a given accent)

Then there’s the mobile one, let’s call it /ᴀ/. This is the one which could be realised as /æ/ or /ɑ:/ depending on which accent you’re speaking. Adelaide is strongly /ᴀ/ → /ɑ:/. It’s part of the “plumminess” or “Englishness” of that accent. NSW has a tendency that way as well. Victoria tends the other way, /ᴀ/ → /æ/.

This comes out in words like “scallop” /'skᴀl,op/: is it closer to “skallop” or “skollop”? The other canonical shibboleths are Castlemain (in Victoria) and Newcastle (In NSW). The “castle” bit is /'kᴀ,sl/, but the local pronunciations are ['kæ.sl,mein] vs ['nʲu:,kɑ:.sl].

3 Likes

Fair enough - I hadn’t thought of the alternate pronunciations of “Newcastle” as being regional, but maybe so. For me it’s always been more about local terms for things - having grown up in Queensland I know “port” for “school bag”, but in Victoria where I live now it just gets you a strange look.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.