Who remembers S&H Green Stamps?

Originally published at: Who remembers S&H Green Stamps? | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Green stamps weren’t the dominant stamp program in my area. Eagle stamps dominated the Cleveland area due to the May Company department store backing them. They were a bit before my time, but when I go through old books or furniture I occasionally find a stamp book.

5 Likes

You just released a flood of good memories. Mom got the stamps, kids got to put them in the books. Win, win. Going to the redemption store? Dream time for a child. Right up there with the Sears Christmas catalog. Now who remembers US saving bonds stamps?

17 Likes

at the peak of the green stamp economy there were even more vendors who gave green stamps with purchases. i had an aunt and uncle who gat a huge pile of stamps with the denomination of 50, which was the amount each page in a green stamp book required, when they purchased a caddilac from a dealership in dallas. at the time they got the car the dealership was offering a “double stamp” incentive so they got twice the value of the car. because she didn’t collect them herself, my aunt gave them to mom and mom’s sister. i had helped mom put stamps in the books so it seemed pretty awesome to fill up a book with 24 stamps. we ended up with around 50 books worth of stamps.

15 Likes

We had Green Shield Stamps over here, which apparently were a more or less direct rip off.

I thought they were ace. And I had completely forgotten all about them until I saw this post.

5 Likes

I do remember the S&H green stamps, but there was also another type I only vaguely remember. They had a more yellow-orange plaid appearance.

4 Likes

In our area, Gold Bell stamps were a big competitor to S & H.

In the 1980s I did some freelance work with S & H Incentives(?), which ran travel and promotional campaigns for other companies. Turns out they were the remnants of the Green Stamps company.

7 Likes

in other nostalgia, bridging the gap between receiving green stamps and absolutely nothing was getting a free glass or frisbee or other crappy merch with a purchase of 8 gallons of gas, at least in this area. my brothers and i used to fight over who got the sports team glass when my dad came back from the “service station”. LOL

10 Likes

I remember Q Yellow Stamps, but they appear to have been very local to Montgomery, Alabama.

3 Likes

This DEFINITELY brings back great memories of endless licking and my total OCD placement of the stamps into the little squares in the booklet. And hours of catalog dreaming about all of the groovy things you could buy with the stamps. I think my family got a Coleman metal cooler (twist close type) that I wish I had today.

@dabeyc - I DO still have my Esso Tiger milk glass mug from one gas station trip. Plus don’t forget the free glasses that your jelly/jam came in; I still have a Sabrina glass from the Archie comics.

14 Likes

Where the guy at the pump filled up the tank, offered to check the oil, maybe wiped the windshield.

13 Likes

i have several welch’s flintstones glasses!

9 Likes

I only remember them from the “Brady Bunch” episode where the boys and girls were arguing about what the redemption prize should be.

11 Likes

seem to remember a labourious journey to chatham…
absolutely nothing else to do… for our mum

2 Likes

I don’t, but if I looked hard enough in my house, I’m guessing I’ll find some of these…

7 Likes

“…peaked in the 60s and 70s”

10 Likes

The Green Shield Stamp catalogue was the template for Argos, for sure.

4 Likes

A sad shell of its former self today:

5 Likes

Not just the template, it was the same company- when the stamps ended, they kept the redemption shops going with the catalogue shop concept.

7 Likes

Came here to post the same thing.

S&H I vaguely recall. My family collected them, but I was not in any way involved in the process, no memory of drooling over catalog items or anything.

7 Likes