Whole site hard to read with or without ads

Yeah, and dealing with her frustrations every time she found a new one. I think she may actually like seeing the ads, too.

1 Like

Using Brave browser solves the problem. My husband suggested I try the ad blocker he’s using (Adblocker Ultimate), and I find it works well in Firefox, too. So problem solved?.. I mean, except for the fact that it’s literally impossible to read BB without using a powerful ad blocker.

1 Like

Ok guys, MAGA ads? Really?

9 Likes

Worst case of ad-targeting EVER.

10 Likes

Even Hitler there disapproves.

9 Likes

I’m new to the BBS and am really struggling with the very intrusive ads. They often break the infinite scroll and actually make posting impossible in portrait view as the submit button is covered by a banner ad fly out.

I’ve used many instances of discourse and this is by far the worst!

Edit: and yes I realise I could use an adblocker, I could also pirate the movies I watch and skip scanning things in the supermarket but if I’m here then my eyeballs can pay for the content as is proper.

3 Likes

The ads disappear at Trust Level 2, but yeah, that’s some atrocious usability design.

2 Likes

That’s good to know - you have to wade through the dirt before they let you use the site unhindered. Unusual strategy but it’s good to know there’s a payoff.

3 Likes

I beg to differ. Using an adblocker is not at all like pirating, quite the contrary.

An adblocker is essential for the security of your system and data. If you don’t use one, you open up to lots of malware targeting your browser. That is simply not a good idea. And a virus scanner can’t help you there much, either.

Modern browsers are a security nightmare as it is, Firefox is the worst - and it will become worse now they fired most of their security team - but Chrome and derivates are also lacking.

On top of that, if somebody wants you to pay with your eyeball, they have a fucked up late-stage capitalist business model that doesn’t give a shit about your attention, focus, goals, privacy or security. There’s nothing proper about supporting that, that shit needs to be killed with fire.

I support boing boing through buying stuff in their store, the sometimes offer helpful software or worthwhile courses.

6 Likes

You had me all the way up to buying stuff in the store.

4 Likes

Not all of the stuff on the store is bad, e.g. occasionally they have app bundles that are worth the price…

You can even get an adblocker there. (I’d still recommend using uBlock Origin).

1 Like

I don’t block ads per se. I try to block malware vectors.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.