Excessive front page ads?

Unrelated to this post, but I don’t know where else to ask this - is this a normal amount of ads for BB or is my computer infected with something?

4 Likes

Pretty much, yeah. And that’s not even counting the adds masquerading as ‘articles’. There’s not many right now, but there’s been times when it nudges 33%.

5 Likes

At least you can see SOME articles. How about when you open the page and the first article is “Please Check Out The Following 75 Items Every Household Must Have Now”

My scrolling fingers are cramping just thinking about it.

4 Likes

Skip the front page. Go directly to the BBS. You can go to any article from there.

Use a browser like Brave or trick out your regular browser with add-ons/plugins that block malware vectors.

Enjoy.

12 Likes

Another option is bookmarking the blog view instead of the front page.

Some of the BB shop articles sometimes break things a little, but it’s still a huge improvement to the default front page.

5 Likes

In a similar vein to the blog view, when using mobile devices I like the grid view:
boingboing.net/grid

3 Likes

+1 for Brave. Works like a dream for me. Best browser ever!

2 Likes

Try plowing through and going to the bbs comments.

2 Likes

The other advantage of going straight to the BBS is you circumvent the problem of article links to the BBS being broken. For example, 100% of Xeni’s posts for the past two weeks. It’s infuriating and goes in month-long waves about four times a year. I don’t what the mechanism is that creates those links, but it sure is fragile.

9 Likes

Previously. Previously. Previously. Previously.

4 Likes

I’ll just add to this thread, rather than start yet another. On mobile I have been finding the ads are getting a wee bit much :wink:

8 Likes

I even get intrusive ads there.

Hey folks, this should be a LOT better now, we updated our theme to be a lot smarter about placements.

Thanks for your patience!

4 Likes

Orenwolf, thank you!

Just fyi, I am viewing the site frequently via iPhone, and I am getting these blob ads that encroach on my view from all sides and take over the screen. I don’t mind the content of the ads, but while on display, they prevent me from advancing further into the site. Until the ads drain back into the sides of the screen, the entire touchscreen is disabled. Links are non responsive. This type of ads seems pretty intrusive to the experience. I hope this is temporary.

2 Likes

If you think an ad is misbehaving, please either visit the bad ad reporter or, if you can’t do that for some reason, send all the details you can to badad@boingboing.net. Unfortunately, I don’t have anything to do with ad content on Boing Boing, and the ad folks need your cookies to troubleshoot the ads you saw (which the bad ad reporter page gives them).

Thanks!

4 Likes

boing boing ads

I love you all dearly but I am turning my ad blocker back on.

5 Likes

I concur. On my iPhone with an ad blocker and Pihole turned off reading articles or browsing the front page is aggressively bad. Most of the page is covered by ads in the front page view:

and I can only read a few lines of an article at a time:

3 Likes

OMG, I can’t believe how bad the advertising experience is now. I actually stopped visiting about a year ago because of the intrusive ads and the lack of any type of concern about them from the webmaster at the time. Today I decided to visit on a whim and I can’t believe that the problem has gotten even worse.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s atrocious - I’ve basically stopped visiting over how bad it is now. Here’s firefox android with no addons:

And in an article:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.