Whoopi Goldberg says "the Holocaust isn’t about race"

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0265691405054218

From Africa to Auschwitz: How German South West Africa Incubated Ideas and Methods Adopted and Developed by the Nazis in Eastern Europe

Cause and effect are subtly reversed from what the USHMM says.

2 Likes

Again, so? It doesn’t take an expert to understand that the nazis believe Jewish people to be a race…

11 Likes

With all due respect to the actor, the hallmark heinous act of Nazi regime not being about race is almost as inane as Jor Rogan’s remark on who qualifies to be called a black person. Not quite, but it’s pretty much up there.

2 Likes

Wait, so is “cheeseburgers” the Holocaust in this analogy, or :thinking:

4 Likes

On the same episode of The View, Mayim Bialek (who has called herself a "staunch Zionist") was asked about Maus being banned. Interestingly, Bialek wrote her Harvard college entrance essay about the impact Maus had on her and the impact it had on our cultural understanding of the Holocaust.

Among other things, she said: “[…] The notion that naked mice, which is, essentially, some of the images we’re talking about. The issue that upsetting people or being disturbing or being afraid that it will be disturbing to young people. It should be disturbing to young people. The genocide of 6 million Jews and of 11 million people of all races, creeds, colors, sexual orientation, is incredibly significant and in an age-appropriate way, we should be educating all of our children and as Whoopi said, it’s not just about Jews and it’s not about race, it’s about the things humans do to each other and we continue to do those things to each other. These things are going on still all over the world; genocide still exists and that to me is even more reason why we should encourage an age-appropriate reading of things like Maus […]”.

4 Likes

Except, once again, part of the justification for the mass murder of the Jews was that the Nazis considered them a race… So YES, race is part of this discussion!

Billie Eilish Wtf GIF by Global Citizen

10 Likes

Oh, Whoopi…

10 Likes

I was waiting for someone to mention non-Ashkenzim.

2 Likes

That’s a surprisingly ignorant thing said out loud by someone who should definitely know better.

I find it particularly frustrating to be in a conversation, and the person being ignorant is ironically exclaiming “you’re missing the point!”.

1 Like

I can’t argue with that.

Thank you for not nevertheless trying. :+1:

4 Likes

the only thing i can get out of what she said was her maybe trying to say that the underlying issue transcends race? that humanity in general is capable of committing atrocities for any reason.

and while i can see that point, i think… yeah. the specific rationale matters. especially because the false idea of racial differences is so frequently used as a justification for harm. not just with nazis or other groups in the past, but with neo nazis and white supremacists right now

3 Likes

Her comment that it’s a white on white thing so it is not her problem is sadly indicative otherwise

9 Likes

All she had to say was, “It goes beyond race because race is really complicated, especially when people start trying to decide who is and isn’t counted as a member of their own race, which is what we also saw in Rwanda and, more recently, in Myanmar.” But that level of analysis was, sadly, beyond her.

7 Likes

Anyone who forgets how complex the idea of racial and ethnic bias is can just go back and note Archie Bunker’s worldview. He was certainly not gonna let a similar skin color slow down his bias. If all you have is a hammer, every problem, no matter what color it is, is a nail.

I am still trying to get through 900 pages of The Kindly Ones, so this sort of thing is sickeningly on my mind.

Whoopi Goldberg has always had stubbornly peculiar and baffling takes on many issues. She has never shown any particular desire to listen though she has reliably leaned into her natural affability which seems to be enough to carry her past previous controversy. This is just the most recent instance though it happens at an inconvenient time as far as Paramount’s “Picard” show is concerned. In any case, if her role as Guinan is anything more than a scene with Patrick Stewart, I would be surprised.

1 Like

Post Holocaust in the United States in an effort to show that the United States was NOT like their former enemy. During my my generation many of us, myself included, have become considered “over assimilated.”

I am a Californian.

8 Likes

That same transition has happened several times in American history.

4 Likes

Whoopie is clearly out of her league, trying to talk race on The View. Hell, she is way out—of anyone’s league. She is on a plane that no man can achieve. She might as well go hide in an utterly lightless place, or disappear into an ethereal cloud. Let’s all be frank, the Shoah was about heritage and race, for fuck’s sake. It was imagined, sensed, felt, created, manufactured, and institutionalized, terribly, and exposed. Does Whoopie really think she can simply NUKE the discussion of race when discussing the holocaust?! I am shaking my white head in disbelief.

2 Likes

Tell that to the Afro-Germans…

4 Likes