Why Adafruit thinks it's legal to stamp Harriet Tubman over Andrew Jackson on the US $20

Anyway, even if the bill were to circulate, how would it even raise awareness? How much overlap is there between people who will recognize the image of Harriet Tubman, and people who are unaware of why Andrew Jackson is problematic?

It seems like an in-joke, not a protest. Stamper: “Fuck Andrew Jackson!” 99% of bill recipients: “Huh?” 1% of bill recipients: “Yeah! Fuck Andrew Jackson! Woo!” (10% of bill recipients: “Why won’t this bill work?”)

2 Likes

Kick him off the money.

But let’s not kid ourselves. There is no way in orange Hell that Donald Trump is going to: (1) eliminate “Civil War hero” Andrew Jackson; or (2) honor a non-white non-male on the $20 bill.

4 Likes

:joy: 

4 Likes

Also, the never old Badass of the Week:

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/tubman.html

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge, counterfeit detector pens test the paper, not the ink content, so it should be fine.

Ah, I found a link:

The relevant info:

The counterfeit detector pen is extremely simple. It contains an iodine solution that reacts with the starch in wood-based paper to create a black stain. When the solution is applied to the fiber-based paper used in real bills, no discoloration occurs. The pen does nothing but detect bills printed on normal copier paper instead of the fine papers used by the U.S. Treasury.

There are many other hidden anti-copying features hidden in US currency-- microprinting, embedded strips that respond to UV light, special inks, and more. It’s fascinating stuff!

4 Likes

shut-up-and-take-my-money-o

3 Likes

So, it’s like a film about Harriet Tubman, but done blaxploitation style?

4 Likes

They have these machines in the U.S. It costs 50 cents (in addition to the penny) to operate the machine. I’m guessing that, since the penny is now worth 51 cents, its value has not decreased and so it’s legal.

So, it’s like a film about Harriet Tubman, but done blaxploitation style?

Pam Grier is Harriet Tubman.

3 Likes

“This way to freedom, sugar!”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.