3D print this Harriet Tubman stamp and fix all those twenties that Mnuchin forgot to take Andrew Jackson off of

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/19/up-your-jacksie.html

7 Likes

Counting the days until we see YouTube videos of deplorables burning $20 bills they’ve received with Tubman on them.

28 Likes

Do they have a base to help align bill with the stamp? That would be much more pleasing of a hack…

2 Likes

“we have a lot more important issues to focus on.”

Like helping my wife lord it over the plebes…

12 Likes

If you watch the 18-second video, you’ll see that there’s a circle in the stamper’s side that you line up with a circle on the bill.

7 Likes

Of course this move was going to be cancelled, when the current occupant of the white house apparently admires Jackson.

However, the bimetallic lining to this cloud is that Andrew Jackson’s continued presence on the 20 is a giant insult to his rabidly anti central banking views.

7 Likes

Is there, like, a regular rubber stamp like this on the market? Some of us losers don’t have 3D printers.

What’s that? I can go look for myself? Fine.

15 Likes

In a way, I like this approach better than their proposed/cancelled solution. This way she takes his place, and he’s not just lurking elsewhere on the bill.

If I ever used cash, I would head to my library and use their 3D printer to make one of these.

3 Likes

:grin:

Fine, I guess I’ll actually watch it…

That’s what I get for judging a book by it’s covershot…

5 Likes

This is such a transparently stupid excuse. The treasury has to periodically update the design anyway, so it wouldn’t take any more time or effort to create a new portrait of Tubman than it would take to create an updated portrait of Jackson.

18 Likes

Pfft, get outta here with your logic and good sense.

9 Likes

They can save the potential fire hazard and just send them to me:

Mangochin, your friendly neighborhood Harriet Tubman $20 disposal service

8 Likes

Yeah, that was my response as well. I can’t rapidly find any way to order the stamp. This seems like an opportunity for someone.

1 Like

for the small fee of $2, send me your tubman twenties and I will dispose of/recirculate them!

1 Like

My preferred method of distribution of the offending currency.

1 Like

Cory is evidently mistaken as to the legality of altering currency:

per the web site for the BUREAU OF ENGRAVING AND PRINTING U.S. Department of the Treasury:

Forging, ALTERING, or trafficking in United States government checks, bonds, or other obligations is a violation of Title 18, Section 510 of the United States Code and is punishable by a fine of up to $10,000, or 10 years imprisonment, or both.

Defacement of Currency

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Anarchy is all fun and games until you get to do time in a federal resort.

Your concern is duly noted.

And, as far as I can tell, invalid. As some other bill-stampers point out,

Many people assume that it’s illegal to stamp or write on paper currency, but they’re wrong! We’re not defacing U.S. currency, we’re decorating dollars! There are three things that you CANNOT do to paper currency:

1. You CANNOT change the denomination — for example, you cannot add two zeros to a one dollar bill and pretend that it’s a one hundred dollar bill. That’s illegal.
  2. You CANNOT burn, shred, or destroy currency, rendering it unfit for circulation.
  3. You CANNOT advertise a business on paper currency. For example, if you own a Bagel shop, you cannot stamp “Eat at Joe’s Bagel’s” on a dollar.

But we are putting political messages on the bills, not commercial advertisements. Because we all want these bills to stay in circulation and we’re stamping to send a message about an issue that’s important to us, it’s legal!

11 Likes

The intent, though, is to keep them circulating.

5 Likes

But because bill readers can’t recognize them them after the alteration, they ARE pulled from circulation.

It doesn’t matter what the intent is, the effect will remove them.

Other less drastic changes don’t have that effect.

If that’s your belief - you likely have a moral (and perhaps legal) responsibility to report this to the Treasury Department.

5 Likes