Why apple pie isn’t American

2 keys. First “Tartys in Applis”. I’m assuming that “Tartys” would indicate a connection to tarts rather than pies. Also “Pastry for one pie shell” The pastry for one pie shell there doesn’t neccisarily indicate the sort of pastry we’d use today. Early pastry for pies and “Coffins” was intended to be inedible. It sealed the contents for preservation. And was broken into so the contents could be eaten, then discarded. Or fed to dogs or the poor. Likewise less sugar more spices than a typical modern pie. American or not. Because again its less of a sweet that a fruit preservation method (or its roots were). Sugar preserves fruit, in much the same way that salt can preserve meat. And so forth.

Assuming these are late medieval recipes it could very well be a pie intended to be sweet, with edible pastry. Since the early roots of that are late medieval/renaissance from what I recall. You could be looking at a transitional pie there. But the book looks to be a modern book, collecting and adapting recipes from multiple sources. Recipes from later might be getting rounded down to medieval, which seems common with these sorts of things. And adaptation of the recipes to modern methods and standards could also be skewing things to have more resemblance to modern dishes, which also seems common. I have a late 17th century Irish cookbook on my desk. Its published as a letter for letter transcription of the original, with no adaptation. There are no sweet pies in the book. Plenty of cakes, jams marmalades, possets, fools, and preserved fruits. A few tarts. And multiple pastry crust recipes. Most labeled as for meat pies and tarts. One making reference to use in “sweet pyes”. Point being they exist and have deep roots with a long evolution. But they weren’t the default mode of pie and often looked and tasted quite different. Especially when you consider that a medieval apple was unlikely to be as sweet to start with as ours are today.

But that’s kind of moot. As I pointed out there are Dutch and English apple pies that are identical to American Apple pie. And (at least briefly) predate “America” as a concept, and the USA as a nation.

To be fair, the number of things that apple pie isn’t vastly exceeds the number of things that it is.

You realise your first paragraph just repeats what I noted in my post, right?

And the book is a collection of recipes from the Middle Ages, mostly English, some German, French, and Spanish.

8 Likes

um…

Literally saying the thing @gadgetgirl02 just said… back to her… seriously, maybe had a piece of pie and chill?

4 Likes

3 Likes

Sometimes there are SO MANY THINGS you just have to SPLAIN RIGHT NOW that you can’t finish reading the previous post. WORDS! THE WORDS IN MY BRAIN! I MUST GET THEM OUT!

#

#

#

#

#
READ MY WORDS

4 Likes

Reminds me of a saying I like to use on conservatives of a certain age:

Eddie Van Halen is as American as Dutch Apple Pie.

1 Like
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.