Why are mysterious antennae and solar panels appearing in the Salt Lake City foothills?

Aliens

2 Likes

Hey chopper 5, maybe next time lend a hand and take the stuff out with ya!

1 Like

LoRaWANs work just fine without bolting a useless blockchain to it.

3 Likes

Yup. But if I have a helium miner up, connected to my series of tubes, I’m reimbursed through crypto for letting others use it.

Edit: With their 5g setup at the very least I’m given a sim card and get a free 5g phone around my house and anywhere else those miners are setup.

So true! Public lands are supposed to be used to plant your weed!

7 Likes

Yeah, on Earth helium is only found underground (caves, gas wells, etc). I worked for a company that made liquid helium. Their feedstock was a waste stream from a neighbouring gas processing plant. They’d take the hydrocarbons, we’d get a mix of mostly-nitrogen, a fair bit of water, and a few percent helium. We’d separate out all the stuff we didn’t need, and churn out tons of helium as a weird-ass liquid that was bubbling away at 4 degrees Kelvin (-452 F). It would get shipped around the world in seriously insulated tanks.

11 Likes

These are Antennas. Antennae are the things on an insects head.

Dont get me started on antennapodes.

(Actually there seems to be some debate about whether antennas is a word).

6 Likes

The mysterious installers certainly proved that one can get up there, do a bit of this and that, then get back down unseen.

2 Likes

Scientific equipment like that always has a plaque with contact info

2 Likes

Either crypto-bros or right wing militias abusing / disrespecting public lands for selfish benefits ? That tracks.

5 Likes

I thought the term for these was “aerials”.

3 Likes

From what I understand, that’s actually a pretty risky operation, especially given that there doesn’t appear to be anywhere for the helicopter to land up there safely.

And one doesn’t usually plant their weed in an open area like that…

I’ve love to help in that matter, if only to score some ‘free’ solar panels for experimentation with. And most public access trails don’t have a camera or any sort of surveillance setup attached to them (and don’t give the feds ideas, either…)

… Most commercially operated stuff does as well, if it’s put in legally.

My money is someone was setting up a mesh network for Helium (or something else that needed repeater cells) on the sly. Here’s hoping that there is some sort of contact information inside the battery box and the owners get at the very least a stern talking to- I’m not sure what the fine is for littering on public land or putting such installations in without approval, but it’s probably more than a slap on the wrist.

4 Likes

I’m curious: how much does it cost to put up such rigs? A few hundred dollars? A few thousand? Tens of thousands? I’m wondering if the return is worth the loss of “investment.”

Happy The Little Mermaid GIF by Disney Princess

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.