Why are you jerks so obsessed with civility?

I’d be aggressive if I had a something wrapped around my neck.

7 Likes

oh hung around it!

4 Likes

Fortunately, civility isn’t required between species on the BBS. They are total white supremacist Nazi geese.

4 Likes

What about black swans?

7 Likes

True story, we have two ponds on our street, and two swans live there and have for a long time (almost as long as we’ve been here). Recently, one of them has gotten more aggressive, to the point where it will run up at the car as we drive by if they are on the street side of the pond.

7 Likes

Also white supremacist Nazi geese. They aren’t really concerned with intellectual consistency so much as the Will to Power.

While their beaks seem scary, those wings are like baseball bats and they sometimes use them to pummel people with.

6 Likes

Is it wrong that I sidetracked a civility discussion into a chat thread about swans?

11 Likes

Did you know they are a different specie?
I don’t know if they are as unfriendly as white swans.

6 Likes

jerk :wink:

4 Likes

In the UK we have three different species of swan (Mute, Whooper and Bewick’s). I wouldn’t fuck with any of them.

8 Likes

Me neither. :wink:

(Heard, or know the Dutch writer Jan Wolkers? Story about a chicken, black “serpentina’s petticoat”. Maybe a thing you don’t want to know).

5 Likes

As a unicorn, I only really fuck with ‘lion’ jerks.

Which is exactly how I chose my avatar. How far off topic are we now?

2 Likes

Never walking down the ponds again… Meep!

5 Likes

8 Likes

Black Swans Matter.

7 Likes

Sea kayaking on the Chesapeake Bay in winter can be dangerous if you get to close to a family of those bastards. They will try and tip you. It’s crazy.

5 Likes

Thanks @Mindysan33 and @cameronh1403.

Also due to the title of this thread, I have to:

4 Likes

No, not really – it’s more like

• a giant infodump is hard to respond to coherently, if it is making a bunch of points, which ones merit a response? Is it unfair to respond to only one of 10 points made? Did you respond to the most important points, and how can you even tell?

• a giant infodump is a lot to read and process, it puts significant burden on the reader. How do you tease apart what was said and reformulate it into something that can be responded to succinctly without spending 15 minutes thinking about it?

So “cool story bro” is more like “I appreciate that you posted this, but how in the world am I supposed to respond to it?” The appreciation is real, but so is the burden imposed on readers.

5 Likes

Sounds like they’ve got a nest nearby.

3 Likes

Create a topic about that, then. But really? Punctuation and Oxford commas are the source of significant ongoing community problems? That’s … surprising.

Also using examples from a meta topic is a bit weird, the idea is to harvest (again, anonymized, because it is about the generalized behavior not the individual users) examples from real live discussions, not the discussions about the discussions.

2 Likes