Why aren't there screw-threads inside the Aeropress sleeve?

A true maker would have turned those paper cups into a bed by now.

1 Like

Are you serious? Have you ever existed in the real world. Buy a local brewed cup and get over yourself.

1 Like

I use upside down because I use a reusable metal filter (yes, that I can taste the difference, same advantage of french press, but without getting grounds in your coffee (well, coarse enough to notice)).

As to the just go out people, I don’t think they get it, do you know when he wants his cup, or where he is staying, or what is open with decent coffee a reasonable walk? Nope, and neither does he.

So what you really need is a threaded sleeve that goes over the outside of the whole aeropress, which you screw down to push the inner sleeve.

Wow, what a tempest in a…coffee cup. This is such an edge case, it’s silly to talk about anything but a DIY solution, and of all those possible solutions, the cheapest, lightest and easiest is Cory traveling with his own damn coffee cup. If I had to do a mechanical aid for the OXO version, I’d make it like a garlic press or potato ricer, a levered frame that holds the Aeropress and pushes the plunger. But most people can handle pressing, I usually do it into a narrow base cup not a mug and don’t have a problem.

Also, put me with the upside down crowd, the other way seems silly one you do it right. And you don’t have a use a special stirring wand to avoid tearing your filter, any handy utensil from the drying rack will do. I’ve had some spectacular and messy failures from sleepily screwing up the filter, eventually you get good at double checking the filter placement.

You must be some kind of out-of-the-box thinker or something. I totally took the original post to mean INTERNAL THREADS and the thought never crossed my mind they could be external. You genius, you.

(Now it needs a motor, some LEDs, bluetooth and an app. LOL)

Not me. Some person on twitter responding to him there.

well you can do the electronics package. We can sell it for a bazillion and be rrrriiiiiich AF.

@frauenfelder rather than an auger or a screw shaft, i’d rather aeropress borrow a design cue from its superior big brother, The ROK, and adopt wine cork removing style levers.

2 Likes

The fact this looks like Darth Vader is a goddamn design miracle.

6 Likes

Mine’s so covered in striations that it appears threaded.

I thought somebody would have created a giant lever to solve the same problem…

Doesn’t seem very portable.

their product is designed to be free standing on the counter, and is for home use.
although, when closed, it would be about the same size as the aeropress if it weren’t for the flat round base.

there is absolutely no reason that those style lever arms couldn’t be added to something portable like the aeropress, which was my suggestion. by themselves they wouldn’t take up hardly any additional room and would sit flat when not in use.

there is a very good reason they are used for wine bottle openers, you can get a lot of leverage without adding vertical pressure. the rok gets a lot more pressure then manually pressing an aeropress, it is closer to an actual espresso machine as far as pressure through grounds.

2 Likes

I had one of those, but the problem with it is the heat capacity. I could never get it to make a decent espresso, so I sold it and use either an aeropress (not espresso) or a Nomad machine (excellent espresso through a portable lever machine).

How does the heat capacity differ from the aeropress?
Or did you mean from a steam pressurized regular espresso machine?

I view aeropress and the rok as hybrids somewhere in between pour overs and traditional espresso, and find the coffee that comes from them to be quite good to my own tastes so long as you use stainless filters and not the paper ones which absorb the oils.

the coffee i drink most frequently is fine gold mesh pour overs, because they are the quickest when i’m working. i save anything fancier for when i’m realaxing and will actually stop to notice or enjoy any subtle differences.

An aeropress is pretty quick though. I’m not a big coffee taste nutter but speed of making a cup before a meeting is a thing for me.

do you think adding lever arms would slow down using an aeropress somehow?

i didn’t think it would…i can’t think of any way in which it would, but i’m open to hearing opinions about how it might.

it would make the plunging both easier and more powerful
it would eliminate the paper cup crushing downward pressure

I’m not sure how it would speed up my own use but then I don’t normally use it upside down either.

I have a big chemex for pots too but that thing takes forever to make coffee. Some days I just miss Mr. Coffee.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.