Why birds fly in a V formation

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/07/why-birds-fly-in-a-v-formation-2.html

3 Likes

I remember a joke from my childhood:

Why is it that when birds fly in a V one side of the V is always longer than the other?

More birds

17 Likes

Why birds fly in a V formation

They have a better chance at shitting on your car windshield, that’s why…

7 Likes

Came here to post this same joke.

It’s still one of mine and my son’s favorite lame Dad jokes.

8 Likes

I assumed it stood for “Vengeance”. Against whom, I never felt like it was my business to ask.

5 Likes

See my post above, it’s scientifically proven.

4 Likes

Because the one at the front has the map.

7 Likes

I thought they were all chasing that one up front?

2 Likes

It will be a bit of a shock if he turns around.

3 Likes

Then maybe you’ll like this one.

What’s the bear minimum?

…One bear….

7 Likes

I’ve already told that dad joke to my kid, haha.

Honestly, I think it’s something else. Most non-predatory birds have eyes on the sides of their heads. They can see well one each side of their body, but not directly in front of them with stereoscopic vision like we have. So, if you can only see on the sides, then to “follow the leader”, you had better be to the left or right, and slightly behind the guy in front of you. Hence, a “V”.

1 Like

My theory has been for a long time: So they don’t shit on each other! They are in the air for hours.

2 Likes

Sounds like a working theory to me.

1 Like

I read a book that said the V was for Vendetta. I don’t remember many birds though…

3 Likes

Isn’t another part of this question why is it that some species of birds fly in V formation and some birds fly in flocks? Is it maybe due to size? It seems like larger birds may get more benefit from the V, and also be in less danger of being taken by a raptor

And how/why birds flying in V formation swap out the lead spot:

1 Like

ok that was cool but holy crap! this recommended video was the shizz

Seriously one of the best videos I think i’ve ever seen, all in 4 minutes.

2 Likes

Avian fascism.

that was awesome. Thanks

1 Like