Why CNN gave Miley Cyrus top spot over Syria

Plot twist: That editorial was actually written by Meredith Artley

Nonetheless, I stand firmly by my initial point that outlets like CNN, FOX, and the rest are about as close to useful news as gummi bears are to actual bears.

I don’t blame them, it’s a function of the fact that advertisement dollars are necessary to pay for things, and it’s easier to get more views with exciting, horrible, or controversial subjects. People are actually encouraged to believe that it’s okay to have an army invade another country because they scare or bother us. That’s just not rational.

It’s an obvious problem in retrospect, and completely, totally batshit crazy.

2 Likes

Capital letters should not be reserved for opening sentences.

Well, this is what happens when journalism has to be profitable. In a way it’s not much different than Fox News where they KNOW what their audience wants to hear, so they serve it up just like folks at home want it.

How soon before THIS Onion skit becomes reality?

http://www.theonion.com/video/new-live-poll-allows-pundits-to-pander-to-viewers,14350/

4 Likes

Where is Falcor? All this chitchat about the US economy has no place in a post about Miley Cyrus’ ass. Let’s get back on topic!

2 Likes

What our modern media (all of them, CNN, Fox and MSNBC alike) really wants is something shocking every single day, and if the public is numb to what happens in Syria, well, thank Baal for Miley Cyrus to save the day.

I blame the American public at least 50%-- if CNN stuck Miley Cyrus onto their front page and nobody paid attention, then pretty soon these kinds of stories would be buried at the bottom of the arts page where they belong.

3 Likes

Geeze it’s like they’re posting some pop culture thing like dozens of stories about “Breaking Bad” instead of doing things of real value to their audience.

8 Likes

I like that the Onion deservedly crapped all over this woman and her “career” with a spot on article and she took the time to let people know she didn’t write it and that she has no journalistic integrity whatsoever. Using Twitter, nonetheless, to bolster her lack of journalistic integrity. It’s like the Onion crapped on her and she immediately went and sat under a tree with tons of crapping birds in it.

2 Likes

PLOT TWISTIER: Meredith Artley is actually Miley Cyrus.

2 Likes

Seriously. Who watches or clicks on CNN anyway?

3 Likes

I hope you mean that when the US government borrows money from the privately owned Federal Reserve, which is not a federal department, they owe that money plus a usury fee. If you do not mean that, well, carry on thinking what you think.

Miley will next appear in ShowGirls 2.

I am disappoint, Cow. There has been solid evidence confirmed by France, the UK and the US that chemical weapons have been used previously. Obama, if anything, is trying his hardest to AVOID doing anything direct against Syria. He originally said that any use of chemical weapons in the conflict would be crossing a ‘red line’ after which more direct action would be taken. After there was evidence that chemical weapons had been used the US line suddenly became that Obama would considering doing something if “significant” chemical weapons use was detected.

How is the war profit machine’s misinformation any better than yours? You characterise the idea that chemical weapons have been used in Syria as a lie, despite the continued and growing evidence that they have been and in ignorance of the fact that you have no evidence that chemical weapons haven’t been used. If you care to look there are PLENTY of videos on Youtube demonstrating clearly that chemical agents are being used. By whom is up for debate, but the fact of the matter is this: Whatever agent was used in this attack it belies logic that the rebels would have the supply or distribution methods required to poison the 3,500+ people who were affected by this attack.

The rebels have always welcomed UN chemical weapons inspectors while the Syrian regime has, at every turn, tried to block or hold up any UN inspection. The UN isn’t even mandated to decide who is responsible for the attack, so what on earth does any party have to hide? The one party that has consistently disagreed with allowing in UN inspectors (al-Asshole’s government) seems pretty guilty, merely by their resistance to inspectors.

This from June 2013:

“Our intelligence community now has a high confidence assessment that chemical weapons have been used on a small scale by the Assad regime in Syria. The President has said that the use of chemical weapons would change his calculus, and it has,” he continued.

The army’s use of chemical weapons had been confirmed by multiple, independent sources, he said. There were no reliable reports accusing rebel forces of using chemical weapons, he added.

This from Aug 1 2013:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/middle-east-in-turmoil/un-inspectors-to-investigate-three-syrian-chemical-weapons-sites/story-fn7ycml4-1226689314802
The United Nations says reports on 13 different chemical attacks have been made. Syria, Britain, France, Russia and the United States have all handed over evidence to Mr Sellstrom’s team.

The difference between this and Iraq’s WMD’s is that there was absolutely no evidence, whatsoever, of any WMDs. There are plenty of videos of Syrian men, women and children’s bodies being destroyed by chemical agents. Iraq and particularly Saddam wasn’t even doing anything uncharacteristically terrible at the time: The invasion was Bush’s little adventure to finish what his daddy couldn’t finish. Syria in an entirely different situation where over 100,000 people have already died because of our (the international community’s) inaction. You might want to wait for stronger evidence of chemical weapons use, but even if there IS no chemical weapons use (which there clearly is, and is almost certainly the work of al-Asshole’s regieme) the international community has a responsibility to stop the Syrian regime from murdering its own people purely on the basis that the conflict is completely unbalanced (trained, well funded army VS freedom fighters) and that millions have been displaced.

Hating the war machine is only good when the war machine is selling you something immoral. When they’re justifiably fucking up bad people like Gaddafi or al-Asshole then spare me your calls for hard evidence. It’s a war zone in which the dominant regime has almost complete territorial and informational control so any such evidence is going to be nigh on impossible to get.

2 Likes

Knee jerk reaction are too be avoided in highly volatile arenas. Subjective analogies and emotional incessant arguments are not evidence of WHOM perpetrated events. World War I was started in such a manner. The factors needed too be considered go beyond the general plebeians understanding of atrocities committed.

Who manufactured the munitions
Who provided the arms.
Who order their use.
What unit discharged them.
Where they actual artillery ordinance or improvised
Which side actually used them.

It is difficult sitting back in arm chairs, far from the fray, dithering appropriate intervention needing too be weighed least great harm occurs.

Countless countries are in the grips of human rights abuses and conflict. Foreign countries intervening to extinguish those actions are not a task taken lightly.

Back too the original topic, it seems this CNN item is in the Video category and IMO not the front page head liner of the day. I could be wrong and if so, no worries.

4 Likes

Everybody knows this isn’t about chemical weapons or an oppressive regime. It’s about remaking the Middle East into an Israeli/US protectorate…plus there’s money to be made.

3 Likes

Yeah… it’s a thing and it is on Urban Dictionary. It’s pretty much up the top if you type “urban dictionary twerking” into google.

The funniest part of this whole shit storm is that Jay-Z in his latest album raps the line “Cause somewhere in America, Miley Cyrus is still twerkin’ - twerk Miley Miley, twerk”. Maybe we should be asking that dude for some stock tips?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm5P2MnOOXo @1:35 for the line

1 Like

“No one I know or care about lives in Syria.” - Sam and Max

re: Chemical weapons - I read a report from Doctors Without Boarders that they have seen thousands of cases of people suffering from gas attacks. IIRC the UN also had a report that they found evidence of gas use.

re: Miley - Am I the only one who just can’t wrap his head around Robin being Allen Thicke’s son?

1. Knee jerk? It’s been happening for over two fucking years.
  2. Dude… apologies of English is not your first language but otherwise: it’s “to”. Learn the difference, because it’s very hard to take advice from someone who doesn’t understand the difference between ‘too’ & ‘to’

Who manufactured the munitions

al-Asshole’s government

Who provided the arms.

Conventional weapons are supplied by Russia and China, Syria owns their own chemical weapons plants

Who order their use.

If it was al-Asshole’s guys who used them (which it likely was) then he or his army generals did. If it was the Rebels (which I very strongly doubt) then any one of the many disparate groups fighting the government could have

What unit discharged them.

Irrelevant, really.

Where they actual artillery ordinance or improvised

Good question. I assume the UN inspectors who arrived today may have a better idea than me. My money is on conventional deployment.

Which side actually used them.

Most available evidence points to the Syrian Regime as the perpetrator of this crime.

Foreign countries intervening to extinguish those actions are not a task taken lightly.
Obviously, but enforcing a no-fly zone (as Syrian opposition figures have been begging for for over a year now) would have been very low risk and would have taken a major offensive tool from the hands of al-Asshole. At present the regime has unchallenged dominance of the skies from which to drop bombs or fly helicopter gunships.

it seems this CNN item is in the Video category

Dude, you can see from the screenshot that the ‘Home’ tab is selected

1 Like

Except that you do devalue the currency against foreign markets. That means that resources sold by other nations, like oil, becomes more expensive to import and drives up energy costs to the average consumer.

Since 2008 the Canadian dollar has been at par with the US dollar largely because the US dollar is devalued from printing money (in 2001 the Canadian dollar was worth .86 cents US) while the Canadian dollar has been strengthened by an abundance of natural resources. Guess who’s buying lumber, potash, oil and coal? Yes, the US to some extent, but China wants a greater share and is willing to pay for it. If China gets a greater share of Canadian oil want to guess how much a gallon of gasoline is going to cost.

The fact is that there are consequences to printing money to pay debt. China has a habit of adjusting their currency to mimic the US dollar. This is likely done to ensure that the value of their investment doesn’t decline. If China starts to divest itself of US debt the US dollar is likely to devalue substantially.

2 Likes

Simplistic cookie-cutter response is simplistic.

I’m guessing that when Turkey scrambled their jets recently to respond to Syrian incursions into Turkish airspace it was because they too want the Middle East to be a Israeli/US protectorate?

Give me a fucking break. You know you “military industrial complex” paranoia freaks are just as stupid-sounding as the " ‘Murrica means freedom" idiots, right? Neither of your sides’ respective arguments are balanced or objective.

2 Likes

Yeah dude, YRC

Doctors Without Borders said three hospitals it supports in the eastern Damascus region reported receiving roughly 3,600 patients with “neurotoxic symptoms” over less than three hours on Wednesday morning, when the attack in the eastern Ghouta area took place.

Of those, 355 died, said the Paris-based group. Death tolls have varied over the alleged attack, with Syrian anti-government activists reporting between 136 and 1,300 being killed.

^and those are the people who actually made it to hospital instead of dying where they stood. I mean, this looks normal, right?

2 Likes