Why did Venezuela collapse? Watch this short excellent explainer video

Epale Yisus, muy completa y de pinga toda tu explicacion y me quito el sombrero ante lo claro y raspao de tus opiniones.

A few months ago Any negative mention of Venezuela/Chavez/Maduro here was almost unanimously bash and called right wing fascist on the spot, Today you are saying more or less the same thing and the quietness and agreement is proving that reality is beating the confirmation bias that rage back then.

There are no mention of Max B. VenezuelaAnalisys, or any other sock puppets and/or false narratives. I felt vindicated and hoppeful.

On a lighter note a bit of Spanish dark humor.

Un abrazo pana, ciao!

2 Likes

Some neo-liberal regime change garbage straight from the Cato institute, promoted by Vox. Conveniently ignores the devastating effect of (illegal) US sanctions, the history of political interference by the CIA, and oh what’s this, nothing about predatory IMF loans either. Shape the fuck up, frauenfelder, you should know better.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, we are only allowed to have one of two opinions about Venezuela

• IT’S MADURO’S FAULT
  • IT’S AMERICA’S FAULT
0 voters
4 Likes

I’d vote for “It’s mostly Chavez’s fault; his charisma and high oil prices meant that the wheels didn’t really come off until Maduro inherited the office.”

4 Likes

Sorry to burst your bubble but the world doesn’t revolve around the US. You give the US government more credit than they are due, even if its meant to be critical. What’s happening in Venezuela is primarily driven by corruption regardless of what the US is or isn’t doing. Of course there is some political shenanigans with sanctions and embargos, but on the flipside of that coin Russia, China, Iran, etc have been happily dealing with the Venezuelan govt making all kinds of deals, at least half of them illegal but well known in Venezuela

4 Likes

To detail things a bit more.

No, the sanctions arent the reason of the collapse. First, no, there is no blockade, and “embargo” is a bit too much. But yes, some of the latest sanction are going to impact, severely, the operations of PDVSA, or stuff like the sales of gold, thus impacting the budget of the government to operate. They for sure arent going to make things better (unless they work on getting them out, and thats… well, not looking like it)

But that kind of sanction is, at most, from 2018. The country has been having a severe downturn since… well ,since forever but 2014 and the oil crash. So no, not only the sanctions havent been the root cause of this, they also dont explain how the inmense oil boom before 2014, handled by the Chavistas, ended up with all around negative results to show.

Again, the problem with this kind of discussion is that people go for the knee-jerk reaction (something the Chavistas very much love), while ignoring, because of course they dont have to know, the YEARS of tales about everything from widespread corruption, boneheaded economic measures, and human right abuses that we know about. The CIA didnt made the Chavistas commit to a policy of priting money to the tune of exponentially increasing the money supply. The CIA didnt made them stick their guns to the stupid foreign exchange controls that were a source for them to become incredibly rich and to even, in the middle of the boom, bribe the middle classes - Venezuela was the only place in the world you would go out on a vacation and come back with more money, because the government would sell you dollars at a ridiculous low price and you would come back and sell what you didnt spend at the actual black market rate. The CIA didnt made the “Pudreval” scandal, where containers full of rotting food imported by PDVSA were found. The CIA didnt threw councilman Albán out of a window in a SEBIN jail and then pretended it was suicide. The CIA didnt beat capitan Acosta Arévalo to death. The CIA didnt force the PSUV to arm paramilitary gangs to shoot at opposition rallies. The CIA didnt sabotage the power networks - the Chavistas were warned, several times, by local engineers that maintenance was abandoned and a collapse was more than likely, and sure as hell the CIA didnt force the Chavistas to respond by jailing or harassing those. And we can be here for days with this list.

I’m not particularly happy with having the Trump administration playing a role in this now, I would very much love him not to be US president. But again, no, the source of Venezuela being what it is is on the hands of Chávez, Maduro, and their fellow party members.

6 Likes

And BTW, no, I’m not blind to the irony of how in this time of insisting on more “representation”, on “visibility”, “empowerment” and “agency” by marginalized groups, one have to be defending the thesis that no, the US does not run the rest of the world like it is a TV series and they are the writers, we are actually quite capable of royally screwing ourselves up without any help. Not that the US government is not willing to help in that a lot of the time, but really, we do have our own politics, laws, controversies, problems, ideological splits, polarization, stupid legislators, violent groups, historical traumas…

5 Likes

That’s horseshit but ok. I remember those topics well, and no one was defending maduro. And beyond recognizing that the Chavez era is more complex than the standard portrayal in white western media, no one was really defending him either.

Many people took issue with how hard you pushed that gutless windbag Gauido, however.

3 Likes

Ok Boomer, also it is “Guaidó” BTW.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.