Why do adults have anxiety dreams about school long after graduation?

Lets Get Physical Fitness GIF by Mad Dance house
?
:wink:

5 Likes

Well, the late Ms. Newton-John was the granddaughter of Max Born.

7 Likes

i’m pretty sure mine still come down to the time i showed up in class and asked the person i had sat down next to what papers the professor was handing out. they looked at me flabbergasted and said: it’s the midterm

i never did figure out what that class was supposed to be about. some sort of math i guess. ironically, it was one of the few classes i did well in

definitely to this day, i have dreams where somehow ive signed up to go back to college without meaning to and only find out when there’s a test

( i guess i’m still vaguely troubled that i never graduated :thinking: )

3 Likes

I have had dreams where I was wearing pyjamas, and couldn’t find my clothes, but I’ve never dreamt I was naked, perhaps that only happens to people who sleep naked?
Never had school/university anxiety dreams either, but then I quite enjoyed exams (more-so than coursework).

1 Like

I’ve been out of college 35 years, and I have MANY dreams of being back there (or more commonly) going back there. I’d say only half of those dreams have a strong anxiety component, like being unprepared for a test. Most of my high anxiety unprepared-for-a-test experiences were real, not dreams.

1 Like

Most of my recurring school dreams both while I was a student and years after revolved around my forgetting my locker combination. Turns out it wasn’t schoolwork that bothered me. It was plotting my day around swapping books in my locker and wondering if I remembered to close it. Part of the issue may have been the fact that I was locker neighbor to my ex after a difficult breakup. Year to year, you didn’t change lockers in that school.

My stress/anxiety dreams, meanwhile, always have zombie attacks that result in my screaming myself awake. Not that I do, but it would be incredibly difficult for me to hide things from my wife.

2 Likes

I have these so often that I’ve got a couple different strata:

• The standard, “shit, forgot I had 6 classes this semester and I’ve only been going to 4.5 of them, and it’s finals week” = College dream

• “I really really have to pee, and every single restroom receptacle is broken/flooding or covered in smeared shit so I can’t even approach it, and also I’m wearing no pants” = High School dream

I’m 51 years old and graduated from college 28 years ago.

2 Likes

The locker combo dream! I think back to high school and have no freaking idea how I remembered my locker combination other than muscle memory.

4 Likes

Same here, but in mine the test is the final exam, I need the class to graduate, and my prof is one of the ones I really respected and enjoyed their classes. Brains are weird.

1 Like

For me, it’s always a dream where I notice a glaring error in a term paper days after I turned it in.

1 Like

Yes! I distinctly remember this anxiety from school, and (presumably) as a result I had dreams well into adulthood about not being able to find my locker. I’m walking up and down the banks and I don’t know which one is mine. :sweat_smile:. At some point in my 40s those dreams seem to have stopped. Haven’t had one in a long time. Fun to hear someone else had anxiety about locker time management though.

4 Likes

Maybe the men did. At the risk of getting too grim for this thread, I imagine the women mostly had anxiety about who was going to rape them next, and how many times.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.