Why does a phone ring at the end of Bowie's "Life on Mars"?

Originally published at: Why does a phone ring at the end of Bowie's "Life on Mars"? | Boing Boing

13 Likes

It is weird to remember back to the days before digital recording. Analogue media can have a magical effect.

6 Likes

I’ve always kind of liked the inclusion of the phone, as it shows the random nature of production before digital editing came about. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

i don’t think i’ve ever noticed the phone, lol. great story.

1 Like

Take a look at the lawman
Beating up the wrong guy

Indeed.

7 Likes

A version for @BakaNeko. It’s really a wonderful interpretation.

10 Likes

In those days, sometimes it payed to just unplug the phone.

2 Likes

Led Zeppelin had a phone ring during the recording of “The Ocean” and you can sure hear it, along with (I think) a lady saying “John” after… l

There’s also a phone ringing on the fantastic debut album from Aorta (1969), but that is intentional.

2 Likes

Depending on your phone provider, that wasn’t always possible. Some would wire the phone directly into a box, forget the RJ11 connector. And there was a knarly dial on the bottom that would adjust the volume but certainly not mute it.

2 Likes

In the explanation video from Ken Scott, he mentions that the piano is next to a public phone. Inside a bathroom, no less. Not being able to see said bathroom, I’d hope it was a separate compartment. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Real teeth!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.