Why else would a grown man play with trains?

You make a strong argument there!

2 Likes

I think it’s that you heard George Carling swear all the time (obviously, not in his role as Mr. Conductor, but in his stand up routines) while I can’t think of a recorded (audio recorded) example of Ringo swearing. He always came across as a little child like, so the incongruity makes it funnier.

2 Likes

Sure. Maybe I’m just missing George Carlin all the more right now with all the obvious bullshit we’re all living through. He was one of those voices who just could cut right through it all to something approaching sane.

5 Likes

Watch out for those mud flurries!

1 Like
4 Likes

Ah, there ya went and spoiled it for me.

2 Likes

Well, caca’s kinda tame. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Such a great movie. One of Burt Lancaster’s best.

6 Likes

Huh. I’ve never seen it. I’ll have to keep an eye for it on cable.

1 Like

Premise: The Nazis are about to cart off the contents of a French art museum by train and former engineer/resistance member Lancaster is trying to stop it. Much is made between Nazi commander (Paul Scofield) being an upper crust art lover while Lancaster is somewhat uncultured and working class.

A classic

Remember that no-cut shot where he slides down the ladder and jumps on the moving train?

Lancaster was 51 years old when he did that. Sheeitt, I’m not sure I could have done it when I was 21.

4 Likes

Lancaster never let people forget he started out as a circus acrobat.

5 Likes

I find it incredible I’ve never even heard of this film.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.