Angry at Kenyan train in Thomas the Tank Engine, the NRA posts picture of trains in Klan hoods

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/11/angry-at-kenyan-train-in-thoma.html

15 Likes

When I jokingly pointed out that Sodor was a fascist dictatorship, I didn’t mean for the NRA to double down on it.

31 Likes

If you think that’s wild, you should see the Santa Claus the NRA uses at their holiday parties

15 Likes

Can we get a jump on future history books and officially start calling this time period “Fear and Loathing in the US of A”?

7 Likes

I posit that there’s a fixed amount of Crazy that continuously enters our world.

Now that Alex Jones has less opportunity to release the Crazy, it’s building up pressure and spewing forth from other weak, fractured places.

31 Likes

It must be really weird to be the NRA’s Photoshop guy, with Google Image searches for ‘guns’, ‘angry obama’, ‘crying child’, ‘gun on black background’, and ‘klan hood’ bookmarked.

21 Likes

Those of us who have been paying attention have known for a long time that the NRA is all about racism. All of that “self defense” babble is just a dog whistle, and it’s gotten more open recently. So this doesn’t really come as a surprise: show a Kenyan locomotive in a cartoon world tour and they leap instantly into full-on Return to Jim Crow.

28 Likes

She calls the show “Thomas the Tank”.

22 Likes

Just wait until she hears that Vickerstown (called Vicarstown in Thomas and Friends) is where they build nuclear submarines.

10 Likes

Fuck me! That’s an Armed Fighting Vehicle!

12 Likes

13 Likes

conservatives have finally noticed and gotten angry about it

Can we just call them what they are? Bigots, with a capital b.

23 Likes

Thomas the tank engine was also one of the first children’s programs to include positive portrayals of tramsgender characters.

49 Likes

I’ll stick with reactionaries and fascists. They are several stops past conservative now and they still haven’t got off.

19 Likes

How long until the NRA is considered a hate group?

29 Likes

And anti-Semitic, and sexist, and xenophobic…

It’s been that way since 1977, when a racist murderer was given control in an internal coup.

But make an ammosexual wet his pants at the thought of the government taking away his fetish items and he’ll rush to defend the arms industry lobby as defenders of “freedom”.

17 Likes

Thank you. That gave me a real giggle.

4 Likes

4 Likes

I guess if they’re going to go off the track and spin their wheels while steaming over this issue instead of running real issues over the coals, I might be okay with that. This might just be the ticket to keeping them distracted and railing against imaginary threats.

17 Likes

Oh shit, I remember that. Great bit of analysis, too. You should do a downloadable podcast or real-time narration of certain episodes of various propaganda-laced children’s shows.

2 Likes