Why has fandom become so toxic?

A lot of adult men still can’t get over being bullied or made fun of for their geeky interests in high school, long after the geeks won in business and popular culture. They’re so bitter and angry that they indulge either in various forms of revenge-driven victimhood (I’ll call this “Gingrich Syndrome”) and/or want to be the autocrat of the particular corner of fandom they hug like a security blanket (I’ll call this “Comic Book Guy Syndrome”). This weird form of toxic masculinity has only been exacerbated by the Internet and social media, which also provides an entry point for the fascist and white supremacist and manosphere recruiters.

And when there’s even the hint that their precious things might be taken away, they start gaslighting and engaging in fallacious arguments and lashing out (I’ll call that “Gollum Syndrome”). I’ve definitely seen obsessive collectors alienate those around them (including family, friends, community members) due to that unhealthy dynamic.

15 Likes

Sounds like someone that most of us here are familiar with…

7 Likes

unfortunately, the most toxic of the fans are the ones not willing to do that.

whether outright, no girls allowed. or something like, you’re not “allowed” to talk about the feminist implications of game tropes

8 Likes

Thanks. Having known him for as long as I have, I’m not surprised. But it still sucks because we’ve been friends for 30 years (and if I’m being honest, he’s probably the only reason I survived the mid-90s).

12 Likes

It’s hard to watch people you care about going down a bad road… Many of us are having to see that first hand of late.

16 Likes

The first time I watched the show I was so invested in Walter White’s journey that I overlooked so much because it was just all so damn good. I often found myself rooting for Walter and reveling in his successes. (I also binge-watched the series on Netflix over a period of a couple weeks which didn’t allow much time for reflecting on each episode which no doubt clouded my opinions.)

When I rewatched the series a second time being able to take a more critical view at the story since it wasn’t all fresh to me, it really struck me just how awful of a person he was - and how this was largely telegraphed from the very opening minutes of the show.

18 Likes

Me too, until he hit his “point of no return;” letting Jane die of an overdose when he could have easily saved her.

After that, I hated Walter for a long time, and I liked hating him… then when the end came, even though I did root for him one last time, I was still glad to see him finally get what he had coming.

To this day, I still love the show; with the full understanding that no one in the story was ‘a hero’ and Jesse Pinkman was the only one who truly ended up on the path to redemption… but only after an arduous journey through hell.

12 Likes

Vince Gilligan understood this right from the beginning, given that the theme of the show is “Mr. Chips turns into Scarface”. Watching BB is an exercise in where everyone’s point of no return is but everyone should have a point of no return and i’m with you, that’s the moment he became irredeemable to me. Agree also that it’s all about Jesse.

10 Likes

Just a testament to how great the writing and acting was in that show. Anybody who worships Walter White or is on the “Skyler is an evil harpy” train or whatever other toxic fandom elements have come from this show (like the people who kept tossing pizzas on the roof of the house used in the show) are completely missing the point.

8 Likes

Yep. From an earlier topic:

10 Likes

ITA.

Yeah they are, and I genuinely pity them.

I highly recco El Camino if you haven’t seen it yet.

Very satisfying conclusion to his story arc, and just as well done as BrBa and BCS.

10 Likes

People lionize Marv Heemeyer, so it is not that surprising.

Anything with a counter-culture aspect is finding a fanbase on the internet.

I have indeed and concur! They are 3 for 3 in my eyes at the moment because BCS is the gift that keeps on giving.

4 Likes

Again, I concur.

I’m still waiting on the last season of BCS to come out; I need to know what happened with Nacho and Lalo.

5 Likes

I think you’re confusing counterculture with sociopathy.

5 Likes

And this is exactly what makes it a good show and worth multiple watches… if you aren’t thinking too deeply about it, he does come off as the “hero” but then you really start to think about all the shit he did, especially to Jesse… and then it really hits you what an asshole he was being the whole time… Like… fucking swallow your dumbass pride and get help for your cancer asshole.

Exactly!

Right… RIGHT!

Personally, I like Better Call Saul more as a show, but mainly because it had my favorite characters from BB and really illustrates their own journey into who they became during BB.

it was really excellent work all around. That Bryan Cranston could go from the lovable goofball husband on Malcolm in the Middle to Water White is really amazing…

Malcolm In The Middle GIF

Really one of the finest actors working today.

Lots of people seem to do that, actually. They also associate being a rebel with just being an asshole.

15 Likes

Nah, going against societal norms is inherently counter cultural.

Counterculture needn’t be driven by virtue, nor be a force for good. Perhaps that is the part you and I disagree on, is the definition of the term.

And, indeed as observed upthread, the more negative movements attract assholes and sociopaths.

The machine works. Pour in people, generate conflict, harvest clicks. The topic literally doesn’t matter. I’m quite sure algorithmic engagement could get people killed over pizza toppings, ice cream flavors, or the Oxford Comma.

2 Likes

Dude missed something, the desire to belong.
Accepting something that someone else feels strongly in order
to feel less alone. I mean, it’s geeks all the way down, right?

I… didn’t read all the comments.
Maybe someone else got here first.

2 Likes

Again, I totally agree.

Him, Aaron Paul, Giancarlo Esposito, Bob Odinkirk… all the entries in VG’s BrBa universe have consistently high quality acting, writing, direction, and cinematography… to the point that he kinda “ruined” me for half-assed storytelling.

6 Likes