Toxic Disney fans want to make Disney magic again

Originally published at: Toxic Disney fans want to make Disney magic again | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Everything seems magical when you’re on Methyl​enedioxy​methamphetamine.

39 Likes

I would consider watching a show called “Who’s Got The Most Toxic Fandom?” to see the GOP, Disney, Star Wars, Joe Rogan, Elon Musk, and Linux fight it out.

27 Likes

I hate your favourite sports team in particular

(That said I can understand enjoying watching humans that are very good at doing what they do)

6 Likes

20 Likes
21 Likes

Cool. Sounds like the toxic fandoms of both the Star Wars and Marvel universes can find a friend in their new corporate overlords.

Disney planning to open an Incel Land soon? I mean, that’s one of the toxic bases they’ve purchased, essentially.

6 Likes

There are, unfortunately, toxic people in just about every fandom/hobby. You just have to find a group of fans you gel with.

Personally, while I have my preferences in my fandom, I encourage others to enjoy it the way they like to enjoy it.

5 Likes

Don’t forget Rick & Morty.

7 Likes

Ugh. Yeah. I enjoy the show, but WOW the R&M fandom is some elite-level garbage humanity.

6 Likes

There’s plenty of legitimate grievances to levy against Disney theme parks. The outrageous expenses, the unfair tiered systems that reward the wealthy, the abuse and exploitation of park employees, the huge crowds and lines, the “fuck your laws” enablement that allows Disney to get away with all kinds of shady shit, the environmental devastation, and “fuck COVID we need to keep the lights on” – among many other things.

Sadly it seems like what’s really important here to a small but hugely outspoken minority is making everybody else miserable with incessant gatekeeping, complaining about “wokeness”, and projecting bullshit on others. Sadly predictable.

17 Likes

A lot of the most recent complaining is the top-tier pass holders feeling underserved. I find it comical.

12 Likes

Reading the article, the problem seems to be half toxic geek culture and half the usual right-wing mix of white supremacy and misogyny and sado-populism oozing into every aspect of American life.

An abundance of opportunities to just enjoy what the parks and cruises have to offer is apparently not enough for these fans (who, I’ll add, can afford to visit the parks from out of state several times a year – “economic anxiety” this ain’t).

10 Likes

And, ironically, MLP.

I’ve (largely) stopped being a fan of things and moved on to the much healthier practice of being an enjoyer of them. And the one thing I’m genuinely still a massive fan of in the contemporary sense of the word I’m at least trying to engage with in a healthy and welcoming manner.

10 Likes

Legitimate complaints, but I find it kinda amusing how many people like to complain about both crowds and overpriced tickets at the same time.. The main way to reduce crowds is to raise prices even higher. Or else to just stop selling tickets way before parks are near capacity, but then you’ve got thousands of people upset that they can’t get their hands on a scarce ticket.

There’s a lot that the company could and should do to improve guest experience but I don’t think that the parks can ever be as affordable AND uncrowded as people would like.

6 Likes

I never said these were easy problems to solve – and I’m not sure Disney is particularly interested in solving them. Disney is in the business of making money, and as long as their strategy continues to rake in the profits there’s little motivation to change anything.

7 Likes

amember

3 Likes

The momentum recently is to cater even more to the wealthy. The upcoming modification of the Fastpass system to partial pay-to-play is a case in point. In the end it’s going to add a couple of hundred dollars to the cost for those who want to maximise their time at the parks the way they did pre-pandemic.

6 Likes

So… “this thing doesn’t ‘feel as magical’ to me, now that I’m thirty-seven, as it did when I was eight. Clearly the problem here is that you’ve ruined it. I demand you make it feel to me like it did when I was a small child, because clearly I have not changed in that time. Also, everything is smaller to me now than it was then. I demand you make everything twice as big. That’s how Magic works. Also, I watched all the movies I loved as a small child and they suck now: stop retroactively making movies suck.”

14 Likes

I think it is generally "I have an unfulfilled sense of entitlement over others and it is not profitable, moral, or perhaps even legal for you to make my wishes come true, but isn’t that what Disney is about? Make the magic happen!

10 Likes