Rolling Stone blames Millennials for the ‘Disney Adult’ problem

Originally published at: Rolling Stone blames Millennials for the 'Disney Adult' problem | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Rolling Stone is very much like the granddads who still think that the 60s were the height of all culture and that everything else since has sucked…

58 Likes

That writer comes across as a real asshole, shaming people for wanting to go have a fun time in the way they choose, just because they aren’t bringing kids along.
So if you grew up loving Disney, but we’re unable to have children of your own (or decided not to, nobody’s business) you aren’t supposed to go enjoy that place anymore? That’s a shit take.

43 Likes

The article also mentions the whole aspect of having enough disposable income to indulge in this:

But I know quite a few people who have discovered the loophole: if you get a job at one of the parks, even a low-paying one, then you can get all the park admission you can handle, along with discounts on the merchandise. There are definitely people I know who work for the Mouse for this reason alone.

And I agree with @jlw that, in my experience, this isn’t especially a “millennial” thing. A few weeks ago I witnessed a clandestine wedding happening on a back corner of Tom Sawyer Island and the happy couple was at least in their 40s.

23 Likes

As someone solidly Gen X I recall dating a Millennial a decade or so ago who started asking me questions like “how long do you see yourself continuing to go out to hear Dj’s or playing board games or video games” in a disapproving tone. My response was that I never plan to stop doing the things that I enjoy. Disney isn’t really my thing but I’ll still go to Cedar Point or King’s Island when I’m in the area or to a club to hear music I like and I’ll go alone if that is the only option.

39 Likes

There is a generational difference here, where millennials are allowed to be more juvenile.

“Heh - yeah. Juvenile Millennials. Glad I’m a responsible, mature Gen Xer.” (Camera starts to pan over the to Boba Fett Collection.) “No, no, nothing to see over there!”

For a long time my cousin, who is a school teacher, worked at a Disney store for this very reason on the weekends.

23 Likes

lol, what a dumb way to live your life. If you enjoy something, enjoy it, don’t let others shit on you for having some joy in your life.

50 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

31 Likes

Reading it, the judgment from the usual well-heeled killjoys turns out to be less about “entitled and fiscally irresponsible” Millenials than it is about child-free adults of all generations who want to enjoy the parks or franchises or what have you. A lot of Americans – especially older white conservative ones – get really offended when they encounter someone of any age who’s not being an adult the “right” way (i.e. marriage, kids, mortgage, car payments, unfulfilling job, etc.*). Nothing rubs that in their face more than seeing a childless adult at Disneyland truly enjoying the park while they’re stuck dragging around a cranky and demanding kid.

[* pay no attention to the fact that the politicians and policies a lot of these critics have supported over the part 40 years have made that middle-class fantasy life near-impossible.]

You’re expected to grow out of it in a way, or at least hide it.

Yeah, as a Gen Xer who’s been a happy mutant and proud geek since before a lot of Gen Zers were born I say screw that noise.

45 Likes

A very-much-not millenial friend recently bought a house near Orlando and moved in part so they could go to Disneyworld more often. Seems a bit over the top to me, but hey, whatevs.

4 Likes

When I was a kid my family fell in the income range where we could afford to visit Disneyland maybe once every couple of years but didn’t have enough cash to spend on all the bells and whistles like souvenir toys and clothing and meals (we ate lunch in the picnic area outside the gate back when that was still a thing). So yeah, back when I was a young adult with no kids I splurged a few times by eating at the Blue Bayou or buying my girlfriend a Minnie hat or whatever. Whatever you think of Disney, they know how to create an entertaining experience for people of all ages.

18 Likes

Was it Werner Herzog?

13 Likes

He could make millions just by offering people the experience of spending a day at Disneyworld with him. I know I’d be up for hearing him dissect the underlying horrors of the place over a Dole Whip and churro.

13 Likes
3 Likes

Hey, Millennials, you are alright with me. Please ignore the grumpy old men who are angry that you’ve still got your health and your own teeth.

21 Likes

Older Millennials already are in their 40s. If we use a common cut off of 1980, the oldest folks in this cohort are having their 42nd this year.

13 Likes

“Is that the 6 million dollar man’s boss”

One thing about Disney for me (as a kid I loved it) is that I PERSONALLY cannot imagine spending my vacation dollars going there. And I live 90 minutes or so (depending on traffic, as they say) south of the CA park.
Just for the hell of it, I recently priced out what it would cost for the two of us to go to Anaheim for a long weekend as I was curious. All I can say is “holy shit!”.

16 Likes

Nobody does existential angst quite as well as the wonderful Werner Herzog.

8 Likes

And discover the answer to the Ultimate Question.

9 Likes

A line Florida newspaper cartoonist and columnist Don Addis wrote back in the '80’s was, “It’s getting so the scariest ride in the park is the admission price.”

15 Likes