Toxic Disney fans want to make Disney magic again

That’s a good attitude. I always said it was more important to enjoy life than have a lifestyle. There’s a family I know that consider themselves a “Disney Family” and take several vacations to some Disney event or theme park a year. They are spending their time doing stuff like this: Complete all 4 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend races on pace and earn not only the 4 individual event medals, but both the Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge…" Holy crap.

5 Likes

Dammit, where it Ricardo Montalban when you need him? I paid for Fantasy Island, why aren’t you making all my desires a reality? Even Especially the illegal ones!?

2 Likes

8 Likes

I know people like that, too, and even as someone who enjoys the Disney parks I don’t get it. You can see the world for the cost of a Disney vacation. Why choose ersatz Japan at Epcot every year when the real thing is just as accessible? Baffling.

ETA: Of course, Japan and some other countries haven’t been accessible in the last two years, but it’s a general point.

8 Likes

Sports would win, hands down. One of the few things that have produced riots on both the winning and losing sides.

2 Likes

Sheesh. I liked the original ride with Figment, too, but there’s no reason to be a jerk about things.

2 Likes

I’m a Disney Parks superfan. I have not been involved in these more toxic online spaces. My Reddit and FB Disney park groups tend to be almost always kind and understanding to folks, even when they ask the same obvious questions again and again.

And I’ve only had positive encounters with other Disney nerds when I encounter them in person in the parks or in the wild.

I do think that there is something about our online engagements with others that can bring out our worst tendencies, and causes us to say things that we would never say to their faces. People have very strong feelings about the Disney parks, myself included. That those feelings can boil over into hatred toward a semi-anonymous other is not a mystery.

11 Likes

The more we encounter magic, the less magical it seems to us, until we do not notice it at all.

Magic really is in the eye of the beholder.

2 Likes

no lie. I mean in the 90’s I experienced Disney on LSD and it was magic. I suppose MDMA would be cool too but honestly I think Toad’s wild ride would be better on blotter than pressies.

3 Likes

Emo Phillips nailed it:

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said “Stop! don’t do it!” “Why shouldn’t I?” he said. I said, “Well, there’s so much to live for!” He said, “Like what?” I said, “Well…are you religious or atheist?” He said, “Religious.” I said, “Me too! Are you christian or buddhist?” He said, “Christian.” I said, “Me too! Are you catholic or protestant?” He said, “Protestant.” I said, “Me too! Are you episcopalian or baptist?” He said, “Baptist!” I said,“Wow! Me too! Are you baptist church of god or baptist church of the lord?” He said, “Baptist church of god!” I said, “Me too! Are you original baptist church of god, or are you reformed baptist church of god?” He said,“Reformed Baptist church of god!” I said, “Me too! Are you reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1879, or reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915?” He said, “Reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!” I said, “Die, heretic scum”, and pushed him off. – Emo Phillips

13 Likes

So your saying my favorite sports team isn’t very good at doing what they do? Them’s fightin’ words!

My childhood was spent taking family trips which were in proximity to historical battlefields. That was not that fun.

However, I never developed the taste for Disney (or Disney-esque) theme parks. Never went while I was at an age when Disney was magical and mysterious.

Since I was a mid-teenager, I have instead of Disney, wanted to go to Coral Castle. Now that is a weird place which captures your imagination, even as an adult. YOU MAY ALSO enjoy House on the Rock.

6 Likes

Can attest, Coral Castle is pretty darn cool.

@Jesse13927 RE: Losing the magic

HUMAN BEINGS MAKE LIFE SO INTERESTING. DO YOU KNOW, THAT IN A UNIVERSE SO FULL OF WONDERS, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO INVENT BOREDOM.

5 Likes

No-one likes us, we don’t care.

1 Like

I remember watching a documentary about that years ago and vicariously enjoying the welcoming community. But I’m not surprised it seems to have turned. Diehards can naturally make things uncomfortable, and since the doc the show has apparently changed. My kids are into the new movie that’s spawning a brand new series, and I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that people are drawing their pitchforks.

Or build more parks to meet demand. Of course neighbors of the new planned park may not like it. In the 1990s Disney was going to make a US History themed park in Virginia outside Washington DC. It made sense; families could visit the park and then see the sights in Washington for actual history. But a lot of people near the planned park didn’t like the idea of the increased traffic it would generate (and some claimed that the site, near a Civil War battlefield, was disrespectful, although how serious they were is up to debate).

Long Beach, CA should be calling and begging.

3 Likes

Gonna disagree with you there. It’s not like “Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln” is a lot of kids’ favorite Disneyland attraction. Most people go to Disney parks to escape the real world.

Also, the real history of colonial America in general and Virginia in particular is so deeply rooted in slavery and genocide that they’d either have to present it as a total downer or whitewash the hell out of it to make it “family-friendly” like they did with the Pocahontas story.

8 Likes

GIF by Schitt's Creek

Seriously? Some people can never have enough.

The toxic geek culture has a good deal of overlap with the right wing etc…

jada pinkett smith that part GIF by Red Table Talk

7 Likes

I have only been to House on the Rock one time as a teenager. I was interested in Architecture, and that is quite the house to see with that interest in mind. All the automatons. etc. were mostly kinda creepy - dead doll eyes everywhere.

8 Likes