Why haven't we heard from any extraterrestrials yet?

Space is big, but time is deep. We have to not just ask why we’re not seeing any aliens now, but why none colonized Earth a million years ago, or ten million.

Some interesting math about this was recently proposed in a paper, “Dissolving the Fermi Paradox”, at https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.02404 .

4 Likes

Have you read Liu Cixin’s The Three Body Problem yet?

If I would be an alien, I wouldn’t talk to myself.

If I wouls be a stupid alien, I would monitor communications first, which would inevitably lead to reading terabytes of YT comments, which would probably make me suicidal.

If I would be a clever alien, I would have a TL3 account on BBBBS.

2 Likes

Nope. Is it good?

Yes, and it suggests a good reason why alien cultures tend to keep quiet.

2 Likes

Children of Earth is gutting.

2 Likes

Poor Ianto. :sob:

3 Likes

And captain Jack’s grandson!

2 Likes

Well, space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist, but that’s just peanuts to space. Listen…

4 Likes

I just hope we don’t get attacked by the eye creatures.

Eye%20Creatures

1 Like

Who the hell is Kristie and Steve?

Isn’t that the THE eye creatures?

We have heard from extraterrestrials. In fact we have been visited many times. Chariots_Of_The_Gods :wink:

4 Likes

Space is big, time is deep, we are very very very small and our voice is very soft. Unless there is a new physics out there, interstellar travel (at least in the biological, round trip sense, as opposed the the Breakthrough Starshot sense) is not possible. Meaningful communication is likely not possible either, so what is left is unintentional leakage. By its very nature, this is not meant to be heard light years away, and so is VASTLY underpowered for such, so unless we are incredibly lucky we won’t hear much form the stars at our current level of technology. Worth listening? Of course, but absence of evidence is definitely not evidence of absence.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.