Why is Congress so clueless about tech? Because they fired all their experts 20 years ago

Don’t be ridiculous!

Only teachers are expected to work for the joy of seeing results. Businesspersons, sportsfolk, and lawmonsters need compensation!

4 Likes

What some old South Park Tapes? I think I have a couple of the old X-Men cartoon too.

How about we cut out the middlefolks and elect to Congress scientists and engineers instead of lawyers?

1 Like

Great idea, then we can have lawyers doing medical research and designing bridges. While we’re at it, let’s swap baristas and judges!

I wonder how it would work to set age limits…

Anyone over 50 is barred from congress. Anyone under 50 is ineligible for the Supreme Court.

I’d be willing to let bartenders be judges. They already make damned good mediators, matchmakers, and psychologists…

4 Likes

The only people who benefit from this course of action, ultimately, is the NSA et al.

Hard, as a congresscritter, to be officially outraged by what the money is being spent for if “hello world” is just a weird greeting to you.

1 Like

Some even make good sidecars.

Don’t know about a band name, but that’s an album title if i’ve ever heard one. A Crock Opera?

And anyone over 75 faces mandatory retirement from the Supreme Court.

supreme court judges are elected for life, aren’t they? there’s a very American solution to enforce retirement with 75.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the problem. No matter how medically debilitated, including dementia (which unfortunately makes them less able to recognize that they need to go), they get to keep their position until death or the “right” party winning the White House, whichever comes first.

1 Like

Lifetime appointments do make sense on one level, but so does parole for some life sentences.

I say 27 year terms. Ideally I think we should get a new one of the 9 every 3 years.

1 Like

Lifetime appointments made sense when fewer people made it to 70 or above. Keeping in mind the greater longevity for the wealthy/powerful/privileged in the U.S., our Supreme Court is now a generation OLDER than anything the Founding Fathers would have envisioned and likely to continue with that trend. Do we really want a court made up of 90-somethings? Because that’s where we’re headed.

2 Likes

I’m not opposed to anyone serving into very old age. it’s not a job that is about physical capacity, per se. One of the sharpest tacks I’ve ever known was 98 and lived to 103. He was a wicked chess player, was still on staff (after a fashion) at the local hospital, and still tilled his own garden every spring. He did admit he ought not drive around 94, no accidents.

appointed by the President (executive) and approved by the Senate (legislative). Checks and balances etc…

Elected judges are a terrible idea.

1 Like

dunno. the judges in Germany (for the highest courts on federal level and the constitutional court) are elected by our parliament (after some behind the scenes negotiations) and so far the Bundesverfassungsgericht is mostly on the side of civic rights and destroyed many many “security” laws.

1 Like

Being elected by the elected is thoroughly democratic, but it is not directly “elected by the people”, which was what I was talking about. The US federal gov’t has a powerful executive branch, so it makes sense here that the executive nominates and then the legislature (not all of it, just the senior body) approves.

Elected judges here are mostly on the county level, and not in all states. I don’t like the practice.

2 Likes

sorry, I misunderstood you

1 Like