Why is KFC a Christmas tradition in Japan?

They do in my Shinjuku neighborhood.

1 Like

In the 19 years I’ve lived in Japan (~14 in Shinjuku-ku) I’ve never seen a line more than 5 people at a KFC

True people don’t need to line up for hours these days, as everybody has pre-ordered and is lined up for pick up. I do see line ups much longer than you see, though. I won’t be around the city this year, though to take pictures. Perhaps on the way home I can get a pick of a line of people waiting to pre-order.

((I’ve spent 14 of 25 years in Shinjuku - I wonder if we know each other? It does seem we live in different parts of the hood, though.))

I don’t know any gaijin in this are any more

#PARTY BARREL!

9 Likes

That’s good to know. I was told wrong information and cannot read Chinese.

1 Like

No problem. It may very well vary from city to city. (Although, that KFC page is for the national company.)

Couldn’t possibly be because the pay is shit, there are no benefits, no vacation time, long hours, the people who manage restaurants are often jerks, and the customers are often rude and demanding. Nope. Must be because they are lazy.

18 Likes

[quote]The Japanese arm of the fast-food giant logged a group net loss of ¥34.9 billion in the business year that ended in December, partly due to the discovery of foreign objects in some products.

But the company decided to raise pay to retain outstanding staff and boost employee morale, the officials said.[/quote]

I get the feeling that working in Japanese McDonalds might be just a teentsy bit different than doing the same job in America.

6 Likes

There are Burger Kings in Taiwan now?

When my wife and I lived in Taipei from 1987 to 1989 we had to rely on our semiannual visa trips to Hong Kong to enjoy flame-broiled Whoppers. These days the local BKs suck and we have to wait for our semiannual trips to see my father in Florida to get halfway decent Whoppers. (If I ate them more frequently than that I’m afraid that I might eventually lose my taste for them entirely.)

What we miss now is cheap Taiwanese fast food loaded with fresh vegetables.

4 Likes

The line is not a myth … the time might be a bit exaggerated … This is me at my first KFC line dance 2014 :slight_smile:

11 Likes

How’s the Healthcare? It looks affordable!

5 Likes

You don’t need one, all you need is a pot deep enough to put oil in. My mom fries chicken on a thick deep pan on the stove :slight_smile: the japanese fry stuff anyway with tempura and also panko

3 Likes

From what I understand BK struggles in Taiwan and has to be pitched as a pseudo-premium brand to gain any traction versus the competition. My friend in Taipei says they are getting more common, it I never saw one in the 101 area when I was last there in 2012.

I also agree the local fast food is better . A street market is by far the best fast food I could find.

1 Like

Well aware of pan fry thank you very much. But even a deep pan isnt going to give you the same result as a deep fryer.

True but the result is still pretty good, i’d rather do it at home if given the chance :slight_smile: I’ve never had home fried chicken and been disappointed.

4 Likes

NPR has a cool article that explains that a bit. It also explains the christmas cake thing.

3 Likes

hey, thanks!

2 Likes

8 piece chicken bucket - coleslaw - and cake, only $46 USD! What a deal! :slight_smile:

:thumbsup: Same. It’s always delicious.

I sorta want a pressure fryer, so I can do my own KFC and other pressure-fried goodies.
But then I think about all the fun of boiling fat under pressure and think, Nahhhh…

2 Likes