KFC launches trial of horrific "Chicken Donut"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/18/kfc-launches-trial-of-horrific.html

6 Likes

A strong hypothesis, I’d say.

12 Likes

My arteries are clogging up just looking at that photo.

20 Likes

Pre cooked and dipped in hot fryer oil =/= fresh

20 Likes

Hmmmmmmm

© 2019 Sam’s Fried Chicken and Donuts. All Rights Reserved. Design & Development by THIKMedia LLC.

8 Likes

Just checked and it’s still up (for 20 years!): https://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/ the place (or its successor) these promo pictures will later reside.

Abominations.

14 Likes

Yet another fast food perversion that obligates the posting of this…

Jeff%20Goldblum%2C%20Jurassic%20Park%20-%20Think%20If%20You%20Should

It’s a testament to the deliciousness of donuts that despite how revolting this combination appears, I now want donuts (but not from KFC).

13 Likes

Sounds like classic (American, yes) “fair food” to me. I’ve been seeing the ‘wacky combination’ of a burger on a freshly grilled donut bun for years at various state fairs, and lately it’s been showing up at hip restaurants. Last year the Big E debuted the Messy Magnus, a pulled BBQ pork sandwich between two apple fritters, which was pretty fantastic, actually. I’d potentially give this a try, though being a KFC chain offering, it’s likely not going to be very good/fresh/well-made.

5 Likes

Consumer: I can’t decide which organ I hate more; my heart or my pancreas.
KFC: Have we got a treat for you!

27 Likes

Cuisine vérité à l’américaine.

1 Like

When I see these kinds of foods I always think about someone starving on a desert island or escaping a prison camp in Siberia, and how heavenly a donut/chicken sandwich would be for them.

I find this is a good way to keep from vomiting into my mouth.

3 Likes

A friend of mine was trying for a few years to convince someone at Dunkin Donuts to serve him a bacon-egg-and-cheese on a donut. He finally got his wish on a late night when the guy at the counter was like “sure, whatever, I gotta close up soon anyway”, and to this day he gets a wistful, faraway-look in his eyes as he recalls how delicious that sandwich was.

9 Likes

Food’s a funny thing. Fried chicken on a donut gets reactions of “horrific!” and “vomit” and “disgusting”, but fried chicken on a waffle with syrup on it? It’s on every brunch menu in America. A burger on a donut – ridiculous! But McDonalds has been selling their popular McGriddles for years and years, and it’s a spiced meat patty on a syrup-infused pancake.

17 Likes
11 Likes

I thought this seemed familiar…

6 Likes

Well I was wary of it at first. It is damn tasty though. Then again maple syrup kinda makes lots of things better.

6 Likes

The doughnut as burger bun thing didn’t really start with fair food though. It was apparently popularized by Luther Vandross and we have a reasonably good idea of where it orginated. And maybe what restaurant.

And a lot of that fair food is that sort of thing, borrowed from somewhere else. Or something fairly routine but deep fried or with another wacky twist. Seems to be driven by contests for new novelties at a lot of the largest state fairs.

6 Likes

Does this advertisement know something I don’t?

17 Likes

Sugar Fat Bomb, back together again.

1 Like

That’s totally fascinating – I had no idea. But as you say, fair food is a game of one-upmanship for the newest, wackiest item (deep fried X!! X on a stick!). I think last year I saw a burger served between two deep-fried Pop Tarts as well as a burger that used deep-fried pizza slices as buns, but I respect my arteries too much to try either one.

3 Likes